Question Should i push cool air from the top of my case?

Kiga

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Hello. First i would like to provide context. So i have a AIO cpu cooler. Specifically the X62 kraken. So its basically equipped with two 280mm fans. I decided id rather blow the air out of my case through the front. (Ran into an issue where i had it mounted on top and it was blowing hot air onto my gpu which made my gpu hit 80+ celcius.) So instead i mounted it on front blowing air out. I also have a single 280mm fan blowing air out on the rear of the case. So my question really is, would it be better to install another set of fans on the top (currently have no fans installed on top) blowing into the case? Or blowing out? I figured it would be more efficient to blow cold air into the case from the top and naturally the rear and front fans would blow the hot air out of the case. I just wanted additional opinions/suggestions.

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
So in total i have 3 case fans and the CPU fan, 2 fans are pushing cold air in the case, 1 is pulling it out of the case.
You have to make a positive air pressure so you don't kill your airflow in the case.
You need in take = out take to make positive air pressure in the case.

D

Deleted member 14196

I would think it better to have cold air coming in from the bottom and hot air exiting the top as heat rises

So my question really is, would it be better to install another set of fans on the top (currently have no fans installed on top) blowing into the case? Or blowing out?
Put radiator in top position (fans as exhaust).
Put intake fans at front, exhaust fan ar rear.

negative.png

Kiga

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Put radiator in top position (fans as exhaust).
Put intake fans at front, exhaust fan ar rear.

negative.png

So whats inefficient about blowing cold air in from the top and blowing the hot air out from the front and rear? Currently my cpu coolers radiator is on the front. I could just put it on top and install additional 280mm fans on the front blowing cool air in but i just want more information on why your method would be more beneficial.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Lucy! Lemme 'splain.

You have a pc sitting in a room inside. In that room, there's enough volume of air that most heat will rise towards the ceiling. It's not uncommon for there to be a 10°C difference from floor level temps and ceiling level temps. So, heat rises. It does not follow any straight path, but follows along with any current in that air. Picture this: top intake and front exhaust setup. Heat coming out of the front is going to rise. On the top of the pc is fans creating a vacuum on the outside of the case, drawing in accessible air. Which is going to create a current from every direction (nature abhors a vacuum) including the front. End result, you are recycling warmer air right back into the case.

Since the coolest air is lowest in the room, that's where you want the intakes, and dumping any heat as high out of the case as possible, so there's no mixing.

Doesn't make a difference if the air is drawn through the AIO and fans used as top exhaust or if the air intakes is fans and the AIO is used as exhaust.

Kinda the same pic as posted earlier....

You can do it your way, circumstances can force it, but the gpu will not like having its exhausted heat shoved right back on itself. Drawing in cold air low, feeds the gpu fans colder air, the top exhaust helps the gpu's rising heat back out of the case.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello. First i would like to provide context. So i have a AIO cpu cooler. Specifically the X62 kraken. So its basically equipped with two 280mm fans. I decided id rather blow the air out of my case through the front. (Ran into an issue where i had it mounted on top and it was blowing hot air onto my gpu which made my gpu hit 80+ celcius.) So instead i mounted it on front blowing air out. I also have a single 280mm fan blowing air out on the rear of the case. So my question really is, would it be better to install another set of fans on the top (currently have no fans installed on top) blowing into the case? Or blowing out? I figured it would be more efficient to blow cold air into the case from the top and naturally the rear and front fans would blow the hot air out of the case. I just wanted additional opinions/suggestions.
Why didn't you just flip the fans over, so they were blowing up and out?

Kiga

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Ran into a problem. My case is too small so i cant put my AIO radiator on top (the gap between my ram and where to mount the radiator makes it impossible). So with those circumstances wouldnt it be better to blow cold air in through the top? So basically i have the radiator blowing air out from the front and a 120mm fan blowing air out from the rear. And the only space i have left to install fans is the top where two 120mm fans can fit. So i have to settle with either blowing cold air in through the top of my case or blowing it out. And im assuming that blowing air out from all sides of the case isnt efficient.

Kiga

Prominent
Apr 24, 2019
Didn't you say, you had successfully mounted it on top before?
Just remove fans (from radiator) and flip them to opposite direction.
I did. But im not sure how i did. I think i have to fix my fans on the case rather than on the radiator if you know what i mean. When i recently tried to mount the radiator on top it wouldnt fit because it came into contact with my ram sticks which misaligns it from where i need to screw it in. I think i get what you're talking about and will give it a try. However, i might have to mount my fans on the opposite side of the radiator for that might be how my radiator mounted to the top at all.

Last edited: