[SOLVED] should i put in an extra ram?

Schnail

Commendable
Jul 12, 2019
hey fellas,
need your opinion on this one. i've put in a 8gb stick Crucial DDR4(single channel) on my laptop, but i also got 4gb stick of Samsung DDR4.
would it be wise for me to install the 4gb along with the 8gb? there's a difference of Cas Latency(CL) by 1. (Crucial CL 16 ; Samsung CL 17). if not, what would be the worst case scenario if i proceed forth and install the thing?

thanks in advance

Solution
i'd say the extra 4gb would make a difference since i like to game, that and the benefit of dual channel. i dont know, seems quite appealing to me. in you experience, beside the risk of the ram not being recognized. what the worst thing that could possibly happen?
Put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Add the 4GB of ram.
Boot the stick and see if 12GB is seen and let it run a pass....no errors allowed.
The 4 GB stick may not be recognized at all. You'd have to experiment.

Will the machine boot with only the 4 GB installed?

If all 12 were recognized, they would likely run at the speed of the slower stick.

Maybe you never use more than 4 or 5 GB in normal operation anyway, so the additional 4 GB may not improve anything.

Reasonable chance you'd never notice the difference.

Schnail

Commendable
Jul 12, 2019
The 4 GB stick may not be recognized at all. You'd have to experiment.

Will the machine boot with only the 4 GB installed?

If all 12 were recognized, they would likely run at the speed of the slower stick.

Maybe you never use more than 4 or 5 GB in normal operation anyway, so the additional 4 GB may not improve anything.

Reasonable chance you'd never notice the difference.
i'd say the extra 4gb would make a difference since i like to game, that and the benefit of dual channel. i dont know, seems quite appealing to me. in you experience, beside the risk of the ram not being recognized. what the worst thing that could possibly happen?

I suppose there is always a greater than zero chance that your machine could burst into flames...............

Realistically, I'd think the worst that could happen is that it would be a waste of your time.

There is some chance you would somehow damage the laptop by prying around in its innards...by accident. I don't know your level of experience in fiddling around inside a laptop. They are a different world entirely than desktops due to miniaturization. Cramped, dozens of tiny screws, etc.

Schnail

Commendable
Jul 12, 2019
I suppose there is always a greater than zero chance that your machine could burst into flames...............

Realistically, I'd think the worst that could happen is that it would be a waste of your time.

There is some chance you would somehow damage the laptop by prying around in its innards...by accident. I don't know your level of experience in fiddling around inside a laptop. They are a different world entirely than desktops due to miniaturization. Cramped, dozens of tiny screws, etc.
yeah, my laptop spontaneously combust wouldnt be the optimal outcome i suppose

Put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick.
Add the 4GB of ram.
Boot the stick and see if 12GB is seen and let it run a pass....no errors allowed.

Solution

Schnail

Commendable
Jul 12, 2019
update fellas. just got done sticking my ram stick in and tested it with memtest86. after leaving it overnight i woke up to a screen saying the word 'Passed' and 0 errors. so yeah i think this all went pretty well