should I reformat my hdd?

orelabergelveg

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018
so I just ordered a MX500 ssd , and I have a question about it ,
when I install the ssd and all once Im finished and I set the ssd as first boot option .
I plug the hdd back in , reboot , will all my games and files be there ? or should I wipe it ?
what will happen with the current os on the hdd ? should I wipe it after I install the ssd and plug the hdd back in?

orelabergelveg

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018

ill keep some of my important files which are not much , and erase the entire hdd , should I do it before I install the os on the ssd or after I install it on the ssd and plug it back in and only then erase it ?

I would install OS in SSD first but without HDD present. Like that you'd have "spare" OS if something would go wrong. Backing up important personal files first would be even better. If you don't have enough storage, you could also make a new partition in HDD at it's end, move files to be backed up in there and than delete other partitions practically reformatting them. later one you could merge partitions and fave full disk again or just make new partition(s).

orelabergelveg

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018

thanks ..!
my main thought was that when ill boot that both drives are plugged in and both have os , that they will conflict ..

orelabergelveg

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018

I downloaded it and all and whenever I try to extend a partition , it says operation partition failed cause applications are opened , but I closed everything!
another question , everytime that I will download anything after I have installed the os on the ssd , will it be downloaded to ssd or hdd?
and is 240gb ssd enough for couple of games and os?

That and programs like this you have to use from Windows but can only make changes to other disks, not the one from which is started.
Place where programs are downloaded is determined by Browser you use to download it. Default place (unless you change) is C: /Users/(your name)/Downloads.

orelabergelveg

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018

sorry but I didnt understand how I fix this ..