Should I Reformat my SSD? (New Motherboard)

invane

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Hello guys!

I just bought a new Gigabyte motherboard. Should I reformat my SSD before I plug it to the new mobo? (I'm unning windows 8.1)

Also, reformatting an SSD will greatly affect its lifspan right???

PLEASE HELP!

Solution

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I suggest doing a fresh install, while doing the Windows 10 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/ Install
Delete all the partitions (Make sure you back up).
Hit New and it'll create new partitions for you.
Install on the largest partition.

Just prevents weird issues.
No need to format before you doing this.

I assume you're planning to use your current SSD containing Win 8.1 OS as your new boot drive with the new motherboard.

If you're basically satisfied with the operation of the current system on the current drive, i.e., it boots & functions without any problems and you're planning to continue using the Win 8.1 OS, then I would see no need for a fresh-install of that OS onto the SSD.

Now I assume you understand that there could be a licensing issue here involving the new motherboard depending upon the type of Microsoft Win 8.1 OS installation media you originally purchased. So if you're unfamiliar with that potential issue, do some research on it.

And you do understand that there's a likelihood that you will need to access the motherboard's driver installation CD to install any necessary drivers required by the motherboard's system, right?

invane

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013

yes.. but im really avoiding to put potential stress to ssd by reinstalling win8.1 again.
But if that's necessary, well I have no choice at all... I am just saving every bit of lifespan out of my SSD. :'(

SSDs are not so delicate that you need to worry about this.

But the point is you DON'T have to reinstall your present Win 8.1 that's installed on the SSD? Do you not understand that? You can simply connect the SSD to the new motherboard and boot away. You may have to install one or more motherboard drivers. There's NO "stress" on the SSD.

Solution