Should I remove pre-applied thermal paste?

Apr 5, 2018
I was wondering whether I should remove the pre-applied thermal paste that came with the cpu cooler (Phanteks PH-14TCPE) and apply the TIM that came with it in the lil tube.

Thanks.

Solution
Yes.
Pre-applied TIM is usually thicker (both in consistency and quantity) than a good TIM from a tube. Performance will usually be a little better if you do it yourself and follow a good application procedure.

Realistically though, the pre-applied TIM should perform well enough for most people.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
personally I always replace the thermal paste that comes on a CPU cooler but I always use Geild GC Extreme paste. I have used many others and found that this one works wonders! much better temps, I don't have to reapply like I did with arctic silver products I had used. etc..

Apr 5, 2018

Alright, thanks for the answer.

Giroro

Splendid
Yes.
Pre-applied TIM is usually thicker (both in consistency and quantity) than a good TIM from a tube. Performance will usually be a little better if you do it yourself and follow a good application procedure.

Realistically though, the pre-applied TIM should perform well enough for most people.

Solution
Apr 5, 2018
There's really no huge reason to replace it. All the pastes are pretty close in performance. Yes, you could get a little better OC, but why would a company sell a cooler with a poor performing thermal paste?
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comp...

Thank you for the answers.

TRENDING THREADS