[SOLVED] Should I remove this SSD? Adata SX8200 (full scan software?)

shawnc

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
HP ENVY TOWER 2 yrs old - Win10
1TB Adata SX8200 NvME SSD, 6 months old, inserted in native M2 internal port on tower.

I plugged in 4 or 6 USB LED lamps to the back of tower, at one time testing them. (pic in comment below). Bad idea I now realize. The kind that illuminate a crystal or something, they're unmarked, don't know if they're 1 watt or 5 watts or more.

Nothing happened, but around that time the SSD became undetectable intermittently, then not detectible after a week or so. So I'm not sure if it's related to the power demand of the lamps, or a non related disk failure.

The BIOS reverted boot priority back to the HDD.
I physically removed and reinstalled SSD and now it functions correctly, I had to reorder the boot priority back to the SSD.

Twice I ran the OEM Adata SSD utility "Full Diagnostic Scan". It said it could take hours for a full scan. 1TB SSD is 1/3 full with data usage.
It came back in less than 30 seconds and said "ran successfully". No error message, I assume if there was a problem it notifies the user.

I was prepared to replace it with a brand new Samsung 970 EVO 1TB that I purchased.
The Adata still has 4 years warranty remaining, but the fact that it failed (presumably by the excess power demand?) has me skeptical.
I'd rather deal with it now if it's not 100%, versus have another failure. (won't be plugging any other power devices).
The Samsung is a step up, but probably a toss up in terms of longevity or noticeable speed.
I'd probably rather leave the Adata in if there was a way to fully test it. I'm skeptical the 30 second scan was very thorough.
Any thoughts or recommendations on this?
Is it likely that 4 or 6 of those lamps could cause the SSD to fail?
If not than that means it has a defect of it's own and I should definitely replace.
Is there a better full scan software to run?
Or a way to dig down and find what caused the SSD failure?
Thank You.

Last edited:

shawnc

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
s-l225.webp