[SOLVED] Should I replace all fans?

Sep 20, 2020
So I'm building a new PC for the 3070, but am using my old Fractal Design Arc case to save money (not to mention I love it). It's 5 years old, but the four 140 fans mounted within are running fine. My question is: Should I just replace all fans, or just maybe buy an extra and deal with fan failures as they come? Is there a rule of thumb here, or am I over-thinking it? Thanks!

Solution
The only real potential stability issue with a case fan going bad is if it overpulls amperage when it fails on a cheap power supply. If everything in your current rig is running fine there should be no issue. As a point though any time a fan starts making noise, or isn't spinning like it should, it should be replaced because of that potential issue. I have reused cases multiple times over the years and I just do a good clean out and test on the fans when doing the build. If anything looks marginal I replace it. Even if a case fan fails you may see some heat build up but if you are running 4 you probably won't. Listen for vibration, look to see if they are spinning when they should and you will be fine. One thing to note though...
I’d try the system in the case as it is and see what temperatures are like. I have a Fractal Design Vector RS and the 140mm fans that came with it are dead silent even at max rpm but they don’t move much air. I just upgraded from a 2080S to a 3080 and noticed the 3080’s temperature would rise slowly over time suggesting hot air was building up in the case. I’ve upgraded the exhaust fan to a Corsair 140 ML Pro and it’s stopped the slow increase in temperature over time and reduced the max temp by approximately 4c. I can feel more air coming from the exhaust fan now. So the original FD fans were definitely not as good.

Reactions: charlie_c137
Sep 20, 2020
I’d try the system in the case as it is and see what temperatures are like. I have a Fractal Design Vector RS and the 140mm fans that came with it are dead silent even at max rpm but they don’t move much air. I just upgraded from a 2080S to a 3080 and noticed the 3080’s temperature would rise slowly over time suggesting hot air was building up in the case. I’ve upgraded the exhaust fan to a Corsair 140 ML Pro and it’s stopped the slow increase in temperature over time and reduced the max temp by approximately 4c. I can feel more air coming from the exhaust fan now. So the original FD fans were definitely not as good.
I left out that I can mount a side fan in my case. I am going to buy a 120mm Noctua fan for that side mount. that should feed the 3070 fresh air... hopefully. I'll have 2x140mm front intake fans and 2x140mm rear/top exhaust fans besides. I'm going for positive pressure, but I'll keep an eye on those temps.

jasonf2

Distinguished
The only real potential stability issue with a case fan going bad is if it overpulls amperage when it fails on a cheap power supply. If everything in your current rig is running fine there should be no issue. As a point though any time a fan starts making noise, or isn't spinning like it should, it should be replaced because of that potential issue. I have reused cases multiple times over the years and I just do a good clean out and test on the fans when doing the build. If anything looks marginal I replace it. Even if a case fan fails you may see some heat build up but if you are running 4 you probably won't. Listen for vibration, look to see if they are spinning when they should and you will be fine. One thing to note though, if you blow them out with air make sure to inspect them running. Marginal fans have a tendency to get worse after a good cleaning.

Solution