Should I replace Intel Pentium D 950 with Intel Pentium 4 524 ?

Aniket_Junnare

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
Hi guys,
I have Intel Pentium 4 524 processor on my D102GGC2 mobo. My problem is pc works fine with xp but somehow laggy in 7. My friend who is an engineer told me that I should replace to latest and powerfull supported processor ie. Intel Pentium # 950 (Dual core). My question is "is it worth to replace 524 (Single core HT) with Pentium D 950(Dual core without HT) ? Plz Help.

NC : My PC really work fine with 7 with some lags. But My friend says Pc will perform much smoother with new cpu. So I can save thousands of rupees. I also have Graphics card Sapphire 5450 HD 1GB-DDR3.

Solution
For $10 it may be a worth it upgrade, you may also need more RAM. If you have less than 2, get it to at least 2 gig of RAM and 4 if you can. An old hard drive can also make a system slow.

The issue with more upgrades is that you will soon start to come into the price point of a used much newer system.

Aniket_Junnare

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

Its available in local market. Should I buy ? its in 10USD. I can afford 10USD if it improves performance...

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
From what I can see, the Pentium D 950 fits in socket 775.

Therefore, the fastest CPU you can get for your socket is the Intel Core 2 Quad QX9750. But that will probably be pointless, since it will probably be prohibitively expensive, even now.

The most powerful, consumer priced CPU for socket 775 is the Core 2 Quad Q9650.

For $10 it may be a worth it upgrade, you may also need more RAM. If you have less than 2, get it to at least 2 gig of RAM and 4 if you can. An old hard drive can also make a system slow.

The issue with more upgrades is that you will soon start to come into the price point of a used much newer system.

Solution
The Pentium D should be noticeably faster, since it has two real cores over one plus hyperthreading, about 10% more base clock speed and double the cache (on-chip high speed memory) and a faster memory speed. As asked above though, how much RAM do you have? It might be this which is causing the lagging rather than the processor.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
" My friend who is an engineer told me that I should replace to latest and powerfull supported processor ie. Intel Pentium # 950 "

Dunno why the OP ignores me, but I'll say it again. The most powerful CPU supported by your motherboard is the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650, not the Pentium D.

Mightyena

Honorable
Oct 21, 2014

Sorry if this has been too long to post another answer to this thread, but no, according to Intel's specs, the fastest processor for that board is indeed the Pentium D 950. The board uses the ATi Radeon Xpress 200 chipset which is (I think) not compatible with core 2 processors. A Q9650 would physically fit in the socket, but I highly doubt the system would even POST with it...