Should I replace my i5 4460 with an i7 4790K for 1440p hz monitor?

dA_HarV

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
Hello, I am upgrading my computer and going from 720p 60hz to 1440 144hz, and right now my cpu is the i5 4460. I am planning on getting either a GTX 1080 or wait to see how the RX 490 performs, and I was wondering if my i5 could handle either one of those cards at 1440p without causing too much of a bottleneck. Would it be smart for me to buy a used 4790K if I can find one with a decent price, and overclock it?

Thanks!

Solution

Personally I'd get the new gpu and screen first and see how the games perform. An i5 4460 is still a decent gaming chip and will probably keep up fine in many games (some cpu heavy games will get held back a bit)... out of interest does your new monitor support G-Sync (nVidia) or Freesync (AMD) frame pacing? If...

Personally I'd get the new gpu and screen first and see how the games perform. An i5 4460 is still a decent gaming chip and will probably keep up fine in many games (some cpu heavy games will get held back a bit)... out of interest does your new monitor support G-Sync (nVidia) or Freesync (AMD) frame pacing? If it supports either of those (and you get a compatible gpu) that would probably alleviate any issues from the cpu being a little slower- as it will adjust the screen refresh to match what the gpu is doing (making everything very smooth and responsive, even if you aren't maxing out 144 hz all the time). There's nothing to stop you adding in a 4790k at a later date if needed...

Solution

TRENDING THREADS