[SOLVED] Should I replace my mobo?

Draconis00

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012
For some reason my mobo cannot run my RAM in dual channel anymore, both sticks work in A1 and A2 though. Is it worth the hassle to replace the mobo and make my RAM be able to run in dual again? How much performance am I losing while gaming here?

RAM: HyperX 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Fury RGB
Mobo: Gigabyte B350 GA-AB350M-Gaming 3

Last edited:
Solution
Unfortunately not :(

3200 from what I can see
Well at least the memory is running at the correct speed which is good. As for the single vs dual channel it's difficult to say without you testing that previously with your games before you had this issue. The problem with replacing the board now is that prices are a bit higher due to COVID-19. The board I'd suggest replacing it with is the ASRock B450M A/C, tons of features for under $100 but it's currently out of stock. There's also rumors of B550 boards being released June 16th if your willing to wait about 1.5 months.

Edit: Appears to be in stock with Newegg....

WildCard999

Titan
Ok, so does the memory work with AXMP in either the A1/B1 or A2/B2 slots? Either should give you dual channel and allow AXMP to work properly so the memory is running at the rated speed, voltage & timings.

Manual (page 40).
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-manual

If AXMP isn't working anymore and your down to 2133 then you could be losing a bit of performance, up to 30 FPS depending on the game or frequent and drastic FPS dips.

Draconis00

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012
It does not work because when I try to connect them in dual channel it gives me the "memory pmu training error at socket 0" error message on start up and from my understanding that means either the RAM or Mobo is busted. However since both RAM works fine and gives me the full 32gb on A1/A2 I assume it's the mobo.

WildCard999

Titan
Unfortunately not :(

3200 from what I can see
Well at least the memory is running at the correct speed which is good. As for the single vs dual channel it's difficult to say without you testing that previously with your games before you had this issue. The problem with replacing the board now is that prices are a bit higher due to COVID-19. The board I'd suggest replacing it with is the ASRock B450M A/C, tons of features for under $100 but it's currently out of stock. There's also rumors of B550 boards being released June 16th if your willing to wait about 1.5 months.

Edit: Appears to be in stock with Newegg.
https://www.newegg.com/asrock-b450m...&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-jVeMPUQy81180ezIOL.VUg

Solution

Draconis00

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2012
Alright that's good news!

I am feeling ok with my current performance I just wanted to make sure I wasn't losing out on too much. So I think I will wait a bit before replacing/upgrading my mobo :)

Thank you so much for your help!