[SOLVED] Should I replace my mobo?

Melvin_6

Honorable
Mar 30, 2016
So I have a asus mobo an sudenly got a warning from the bios. "Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply". And I couldn't boot to windows anymore(only got a black screen).

Then the following stuff with no success:

• Disable Asus anti-surge.
  • Run chkdsk c: /r on safe mode. I could boot on safe mode though.
  • Push clear_cmos button on my mobo.
Then I tried doing a complete reset but I got a black screen mid instalation. Then tried downloading windows into a bootable drive and doing a clean install. And while in the instalation process (Keyboard settings, privacy setting etc) I still got a black screen. After a while I figured out it was the GPU when I tested it on another setup and I'm currently running the pc with the IGPU.

I wan't to get a rtx 3080 as soon as posible. Should I replace my motherboard? I'm scared it may kill this new GPU but I will rather just spend on the GPU for now. Thanks

My spec are

CPU: Skylake Intel® Core™ i5-6600K Processor
Motherboard: Asus maximus 8 hero
Ram: 16 Ram Ballistix Sport DD4
SSD/HDD: Two 850 EVO SATA SSD 250GB
GPU: Nvidia 980 ti (Died)
PSU: Seasonic Focus Gold + (80 plus gold)
Case: NZXT Noctis 450

Solution
Not sure what DMann is thinking. That i5 isn't going to bottleneck the gpu, that's a bunch of horse....... What's going to happen is the gpu will invariably be under-used in some titles. It'll mean you'll be able to play with maximum graphics and not take an fps hit and maybe still have room left over. So what. Different games have different requirements, some are more taxing on the gpu than others.

The issue is that the i5 is limited on threads, so in some higher thread count games and any game online that has a high AI (mmorpgs etc) its going to have a lower fps.

Everybody plans on upgrading mobo/cpu in the future. For some it's every other year, for some it's every 5+ years.

Nothing wrong with that psu. It IS a very good psu...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What monitor?

The Maximus series ROG boards are very decent, and the anti-surge seems to definitely done its job and prevented possible damage from a failing gpu. Doubtful it was the motherboard killing the gpu, but the other way around.

I ask what monitor because the 3080 is a 4k card and if you are pushing 1080p or 1440p, a 3070 will be just as good at a much lower price. You'll find many games are fps limited more by the cpu than the gpu.

Last edited:

Melvin_6

Honorable
Mar 30, 2016
What monitor?

The Maximus series ROG boards are very decent, and the anti-surge seems to definitely done its job and prevented possible damage from a failing gpu. Doubtful it was the motherboard killing the gpu, but the other way around.

I ask what monitor because the 3080 is a 4k card and if you are pushing 1080p or 1440p, a 3070 will be just as good at a much lower price. You'll find many games are fps limited more by the cpu than the gpu.
I plan on replacing the motherboard and CPU in the future but I'll probably be gamming on 2k at most for know. Do you think that CPU is decent for know?

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
How old is your current system ?
And what wattage PSU do you have and how old is it ?
It seems to me that your PSU is Not supplying adequate power to your now dead 980 Ti any more.
So the first thing you need to do is look into getting a good quality PSU with enough power (Wattage) to handle a 3080.
I personally would Not get anything less than a 750W (the recommended power requirement) and an 850W Gold + PSU would be even better to run a Nvidia RTX 3080.

The i5-6600k will almost certainly be the bottleneck if you add a Nvidia RTX 3080.
But it will still run most games at 1080p/60-120Hz without any problem.
Look at this i5-6600k/2080 Ti:
It shows that the CPU is the limiting factor at all resolutions and with a 3080 that will just be amplified.

Looking at your MB CPU compatibility list it seems that a Core i7-7700K ($260 new) is the fastest CPU it supports.
So if you get a new good quality 750/850W PSU, an i7-7700k, a Nvidia RTX 3080 and a decent 1440p monitor, it should be a solid gaming rig.

IMO,
You'd be better off switching to an AMD 3660/3600x based system on a B550 motherboard.
You would spend roughly the same money and get a better CPU and a MB that would allow you to upgrade to a Ryzen 5000 CPU in a few years.

Melvin_6

Honorable
Mar 30, 2016
How old is your current system ?
And what wattage PSU do you have and how old is it ?
It seems to me that your PSU is Not supplying adequate power to your now dead 980 Ti any more.
So the first thing you need to do is look into getting a good quality PSU with enough power (Wattage) to handle a 3080.
I personally would Not get anything less than a 750W (the recommended power requirement) and an 850W Gold + PSU would be even better to run a Nvidia RTX 3080.

The i5-6600k will almost certainly be the bottleneck if you add a Nvidia RTX 3080.
But it will still run most games at 1080p/60-120Hz without any problem.
Look at this i5-6600k/2080 Ti:
It shows that the CPU is the limiting factor at all resolutions and with a 3080 that will just be amplified.

Looking at your MB CPU compatibility list it seems that a Core i7-7700K ($260 new) is the fastest CPU it supports.
So if you get a new good quality 750/850W PSU, an i7-7700k, a Nvidia RTX 3080 and a decent 1440p monitor, it should be a solid gaming rig.

IMO,
You'd be better off switching to an AMD 3660/3600x based system on a B550 motherboard.
You would spend roughly the same money and get a better CPU and a MB that would allow you to upgrade to a Ryzen 5000 CPU in a few years.

Mi system is like 5-6 years old, but my old psu died, my current psu is supposed to be tier 1 acording to this site, its like 1 year and 6 months old (Seasonic Focus Gold + (80 plus gold) 850w ). I just wan't my i5-6600k to last me like 3-4 more months then I wan't to change it to AMD like you said. Do you think it would be decent enough to game at 2k with more than 60 fps atleast?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure what DMann is thinking. That i5 isn't going to bottleneck the gpu, that's a bunch of horse....... What's going to happen is the gpu will invariably be under-used in some titles. It'll mean you'll be able to play with maximum graphics and not take an fps hit and maybe still have room left over. So what. Different games have different requirements, some are more taxing on the gpu than others.

The issue is that the i5 is limited on threads, so in some higher thread count games and any game online that has a high AI (mmorpgs etc) its going to have a lower fps.

Everybody plans on upgrading mobo/cpu in the future. For some it's every other year, for some it's every 5+ years.

Nothing wrong with that psu. It IS a very good psu and should not have any issues, but that's from a psu series standpoint, whether your particular unit is funky or not is a different story, every psu ever made has a failure rate, the good psus just have a really small rate and the junk has a really large failure rate.

How long you keep your pc is upto you, the hardware is fine, pretty decent, it'll be on you to determine if you can live with the results or want more. It's not like you are using 1st or 2nd Gen Intel or an FX cpu, 6th gen isn't that far behind what's current. 10th Gen is nothing more than a revamp of a revamp of Skylake anyways, the performance gains are mostly due to the addition of HT in more cpus.

Reactions: DMAN999
Solution