should I replace my monitor? acer xb270hu or rog swift

Dropdead777

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
Hi, I keep reading about how the predator is far superior over the rog swift due to being ips...I've never used ips but seen it on screens before and the colors look great. The colors on my rog swift look washed out due to being TN. My rog swift is perfect in everything else but would love to have the best of both worlds that the predator offers..So, my question, should I sell the rog swift and buy the predator?

Solution
Colors in particular are great. As for motion, I owned a BenQ xl2420g briefly which had similar pixel response times as the ROG Swift, and it did noticeably have less motion blur compared to the Acer. The biggest thing you will notice with an IPS is going to be viewing angles, honestly.

Keep in mind you really should calibrate any monitor to get accurate colors. At the very least use some recommended settings and ICC profiles from professionals. Check out TFT Central for a good place to start. I've heard good things about the Swift, including that it is fairly color accurate for a TN, being one of the few true 8bit TN panels. Are you sure it being washed out isn't at least partially due to brightness being too high or your gamma...

mabrams

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Hmm, I guess that would depend on a couple different factors. How much you can get for your Swift, how much you can get the Acer for, and if you are willing to trade pixel response time/motion clarity (Swifts 1ms vs Acers 4ms) for Color and viewing angles.

There are a couple other things to consider, too. The Acer can only do ULMB at 100hz or 85hz, while the Swift can do ULMB at 120hz... pretty cool feature for motion clarity in FPSs such as CS:GO. The Acer also has been known to have some IPS glow issues (it's like a yellowish glow in the bottom right of the screen particularly noticeable in dark scenes) while the Swift is supposed to be fantastic with backlight bleed.

All that said, I own the xb270hu and it's awesome. Mine does have a fair amount of IPS glow, but that is my only complaint. The colors are fantastic. I've never owned or have seen a ROG Swift, so I can't directly compare them, but it does seem like more of an instance of trade-offs than one being downright BETTER than the other.

Dropdead777

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013

Ok Thanks for the reply...I just got shipping confirmation from newegg on the xb270hu predator so I guess if I'm not satisfied with it I'll just send it back and keep my Rog swift. When you say its awesome are you talking about the colors on the screen? I know gsync and 144hz are awesome but would like some feedback on colors? Thanks

mabrams

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Colors in particular are great. As for motion, I owned a BenQ xl2420g briefly which had similar pixel response times as the ROG Swift, and it did noticeably have less motion blur compared to the Acer. The biggest thing you will notice with an IPS is going to be viewing angles, honestly.

Keep in mind you really should calibrate any monitor to get accurate colors. At the very least use some recommended settings and ICC profiles from professionals. Check out TFT Central for a good place to start. I've heard good things about the Swift, including that it is fairly color accurate for a TN, being one of the few true 8bit TN panels. Are you sure it being washed out isn't at least partially due to brightness being too high or your gamma settings being too high?

Solution

Dropdead777

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013

Thank you! Brightness was set too high. I used these settings off overclocker forum:Monitor: 35 Brightness / 50 Contrast
Nvidia: 50 Brightness / 60 Contrast / 0.75 Gamma
ICC Profile: PCMonitors.info
Monitor is perfect now its viewing angles improved significantly! Thanks again!