[SOLVED] Should I replace my Power-supply?

Oct 16, 2020
I am currently using a Ryzen 5 2600x, a GTX 1660 super, 16 gb of ram (3200 mhz) a msi b450 pro carbon ac motherboard, a samsung 970 evo, and a 500w EVGA powersupply, 80+ Bronze.

I was talking to some people on discord, and they made it sound like using that powersupply was a huge risk to my system. Many of them said it wasn't enough wattage, and that I should have at least 80+ Gold. I have been using this one for about 5 months, with no problems, but I also don't want to risk frying anything in my system. Opinions on whether I should replace it? Thanks!

Solution
EVGA have the BT, BR and BQ that are all 500W bronze units.... which do you have?

None of those are terrible, or fire-hazards..... but they wouldn't be my first choice.
For the hardware you're running, any of the 3 should be fine.

Many of them said it wasn't enough wattage

Wattage alone is not the be-all, end-all. 500W, in a quality unit is plenty for that configuration.

that I should have at least 80+ Gold.

80+ is a measure of efficiency, not quality. There are plenty "80+ Gold" units that are junk - I'd rather a quality Bronze unit than a mediocre Gold.

but I also don't want to risk frying anything in my system.

None of the 3 are to the point they'd risk frying components. If you start to experience...
What's the exact model?

Wattage is plenty as long as the quality is decent (we'll know when you tell us the model). You don't NEED 80+ Gold, but it certainly denotes better component quality.

PSU selection isn't a completely black and white choice. Yes, there are quality tiers you should avoid. But once you hit a certain level, it becomes more of a "if you can afford to step up a tier, that's better. I don't NEED a Ferrari to drive to work.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
EVGA have the BT, BR and BQ that are all 500W bronze units.... which do you have?

None of those are terrible, or fire-hazards..... but they wouldn't be my first choice.
For the hardware you're running, any of the 3 should be fine.

Many of them said it wasn't enough wattage

Wattage alone is not the be-all, end-all. 500W, in a quality unit is plenty for that configuration.

that I should have at least 80+ Gold.

80+ is a measure of efficiency, not quality. There are plenty "80+ Gold" units that are junk - I'd rather a quality Bronze unit than a mediocre Gold.

but I also don't want to risk frying anything in my system.

None of the 3 are to the point they'd risk frying components. If you start to experience random instability or shutdowns that you cannot diagnose, the PSU would be a good place to start replacing.... but only if required.

Opinions on whether I should replace it? Thanks!

Since you already own it & are running (relatively) low power components, I would be comfortable continuing to use it. It's not a fire hazard, it's not outright garbage. You should be fine.

Reactions: PrinceTexasLoaf
Solution