Question Should I replace my PSU?

techylavi

Reputable
Apr 1, 2019
My computer is roughly 7 years old with the same power supply. I dont know the power certifications or the wattage, but I believe it doens't have a power certification. My power suppy is very loud when I power it on, and occasionally makes a clicking sound. It doesn't have a single vga (PCIE connecter) and a 2+2 cpu power connecter. Should I replace this unit, or leave it running for another few years before I replace my computer?

Which PSU model is it ?? List the brand/model number. Why are you replacing it ? Building a new gaming PC ?? Any decent quality PSU should also have PCI-e cables with it. PSUs do age with time, though 7 years isn't alarming....It will depend on the quality of the PSU model.

A decent unit can last several years, but depending on the usage of the system though.

techylavi

Reputable
Apr 1, 2019
I looked at the power supply, the color is grey so and the back of it isnt powder coated (its not blacked out), but I can find a model number or figure out what the brand is. I usually use the computer for 1-4 hours a day depending on what day it is. On the weekend, I use it up to 4 hours and on the weekdays usually no more than 1 1/2 hours. Based on what cables other power supplies have, I'm assuming it is somewhere around the 300 watt range. A few weeks ago, I plugged a fan cable in, and the computer wouldn't turn on. When I unplugged it, it would turn on. I said when I replace it because im learning how to use photoshop, edit videos, and program and I dont feel as my computer can handle these programs. The computer parts are very good; I have a gtx 1050 low profile card, i5 760, 8gb of ddr3, a 240 gb ssd, and windows 10. Please let me know if I should provide any more info, and I would greatly appreciate if you helped me more, thanks

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in replying back....Somehow I overlooked this thread. Anyways, if you really think that your current PSU is giving trouble, then you can try replacing it with any other basic 300-400 Watts PSU. First of all, we don't know the make and model of your current 300 W PSU, but since it It doesn't have a single PCIE connector, then I'm assuming this would a very generic low-end PSU.

Is the PSU too loud ? You can keep using the PSU for another few years though, but what if the PSU damages other PC components of your RIG in the long run ? If you think there is indeed an issue with your PSU, then kindly change it for some other decent PSU model, instead of taking RISK.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Many pre-built pc's have psus that do not have a 6pin pcie, they are too low power and any cards worth powering are too large for the system. 225w-300w is about normal.

I'd replace the psu if it's ticking. It shouldn't. That's either a relay that's starting to hangup or a bearing on the fan that's going bunk. Either way is bad news.
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.39 @ Newegg)
All you need in a psu.
You may or may not need a power adapter for the mains 20+4pin. Some motherboards from Dell, HP, Lenovo, Sony etc use proprietory connectors, can be anything from 6pin to 18pin, 14pin is common. You can get those cheap at Amazon or newegg. Everything else will be plug-n-play.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.