[SOLVED] Should I replace my PSU?

PetarV

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
My current one is 4+ years old. Its Njoy Woden 650w Gold 80+. I got it for a suspiciously low price, the 80+ gold sticker sold me. I didn't research enough and after I bought it I stumbled across a few forum threads where they explained the importance of a realiable psu. And how a cheap who-the-hell-knows-this-brand PSU like the one I bought is a bad idea. But so far it has worked I think, my pc is running after all...

Is it a good idea to swap it before my house catches on fire? Im using my pc for work and I need it to be 100% reliable for the next couple of years atleast. Im thinking about getting an EVGA 500 GD 80+ gold which is about as expensive as I can afford.

Im also getting random bsod which make my pc unusable at times. Although I can't prove it because I dont have anything to swap it with I highly suspect the PSU.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
I figured. So Im swapping asap. I can also get a Seasonic Core GC 500W Gold for around the same price but I dont know which psu is better.
The problem with EVGA is they sell many models that might have same name but being actually different (because made by different OEMs), so sometimes it is really hard to tell if given unit is good model or not. Seasonic GC is simply safer bet here IMO.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Given that other PSUs from this brand often show the non-existent 90+ standard, you can safely assume that they never had the PSU certified by the 80plus group. So chances are pretty good that other claims are false.

There is more to quality than efficiency as well. Ripple being the most important (how smooth a DC output it makes), Hold up time. Off balance loading characteristics, and topology type. Generally Gold rating comes with the use of DC to DC converters for the lower voltages. Group regulated supplies rarely get above Bronze.

I can't find any reviews or good images of the internals.

Most EVGA PSUs are at least not known fire hazards, so I think it will be a worthy upgrade.

Reactions: PetarV

PetarV

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
4 years is actually quite good amount of working time for such unknown model. Consider it paid its price and move on to something better. And GD isn't exactly top tier.

I figured. So Im swapping asap. I can also get a Seasonic Core GC 500W Gold for around the same price but I dont know which psu is better.

The problem with EVGA is they sell many models that might have same name but being actually different (because made by different OEMs), so sometimes it is really hard to tell if given unit is good model or not. Seasonic GC is simply safer bet here IMO.

Reactions: PetarV
Solution