Should I replace my ssd?

msacco

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
Hello, today I woke up to an unpleasing incident, I woke up and saw my computer cycling through the bootup screen restarting over and over again, after the windows selecting window, my computer simply reboots itself, after a few checks it would seem that somehow my ssd just formatted itself, I now installed a fresh windows installation, and except for a few weird behaviors of the pc getting stuck and not responding at weird places(especially after a clean windows installation), so far it seems ok, and it runs just fine for the last 20 minutes. I've ran a few disk tests using seagate tools, which passed all the tests there, and I also ran hard disk senitel, the performance is on 100%, the health is at 99% with the following message:
"There is 1 bad sector on the disk surface. The contents of this sector were moved to the spare area.
At this point, warranty replacement of the disk is not yet possible, only if the health drops further.
It is recommended to examine the log of the disk regularly. All new problems found will be logged there.
The TRIM feature of the SSD is supported and enabled for optimal performance.

No actions needed."

I thought about replacing the ssd before I figured that it might still be ok because I still have warranty, but now Im not so sure, Im not a huge ssd expert, but from what I know that 1 bad sector might be the reason for the whole disk formatting, so that might work now, but maybe in a few weeks, months, even years, that 1 bad sector might cause it again(Im not really sure about what Im saying..). On the other hand, that might also happen with a new ssd, so Im just not really sure, can someone help me evaluate my ssd 'health' and advice me what I should do? Im also not home for like the next week and a half, so that might be a good time to wait for the repaired/new ssd.to arrive.
Thanks for the help.

There's no actual surface on an SSD but if bad sector was at wrong place like in MBR/GPT table it may look like disk was formatted without it actually being formatted. There's no way to format disk OS is booted from.
If you keep proper backup, there may not be reason to change it (yet).

msacco

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017

What is a proper backup? And if its not formatted, what was it and what can be done?.. I reviewed the hard drive in the cmd while in windows installation, and the disk was completely empty.

msacco

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017

I booted my pc with another windows installation I had on a different drive, the ssd had 2 folders, temp and $WINDOWS.~BT, both had only a few files in them, and thats it, so if it really was only a bad file, I'd still had all the files on the ssd, but it was just empty.

TRENDING THREADS