Should I replace or upgrade my desktop or replace everything with laptop?

Oblivion2500

Reputable
Jan 1, 2017
I use my computer for a lot of things. I'm looking to make my setup better. I don't like my monitors anymore. My pc is loud and annoying. Half the parts are kind of old and others are newer. I use my computer for everything. Games, movies, music, family photos/videos, document/excel work, and game design work with tons of 3D modeling and animations.

Here's my current setup:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/V96jD2

I was hoping to sell everything for about $2100 (keep mouse/keyboard/speakers). Replace it with the new MSI GS75 w/ RTX 2080 laptop and Razer Raptor Monitor. However, I read that the max-q 2060, 2070, and 2080s are underperforming and are very disappointing. I was hoping it would be a lot better than my desktop for that $3000 price.

My most ideal but also expensive solution would be to get a new desktop with the razer raptor monitor and get a single 2tb m.2 SSD from Samsung. I'm sick of HDD and loud noise, etc. Also get a MacBook Air or Pro 13" for portability and personal stuff like family photos/videos and internet, etc (I have an iPhone and love the Apple ecosystem). My desktop for hardcore stuff, game design work, and gaming.

Should I just upgrade my PC by replacing the HDD/SSD with a single m.2 SSD 2TB, replace cooler with a quiet version, and new video card good enough for 2K gaming, maybe some cable mods/extension for cleaner setup? Then get the cheapest MacBook for just very simple stuff like the internet and documents? Also, my family photos/videos take up about 800gb so far. I don't really want to use iCloud since it doesn't let you store locally and online at the same time. OneDrive does but it's so slow on Mac OS and iOS. I would love to have an all-new desktop and laptop. Ideally, if only the MSI GS75 laptop did perform well with the new 2080 but it doesn't.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
If retail price is $2200 your probably not going to sale it for $2100, especially when newer parts are out.

Swap out the hdd for ssd, use fan gromets, and manually tweek the fans rpm to quieter levels but still allow them to ramp up if temps get too high. Use the motherboard if you have them connected that way, if not a fan controller.

If you think your desktop is loud wait till you see what a fully loaded gaming laptop is like with its small fans spinning like mad in an attempt to keep cool.

No offense, but there's no way you'll get $2100 for your current setup. Half that, if you're lucky.

I find it odd that your PC is loud. Perhaps you're being too aggressive with your temp targets? That's quite a potent system. Pretty much any laptop you buy isn't going to BEAT the performance you already have.

As assasin said, laptops run hotter and have smaller fans. Because if this, they can't maintain max clock speeds indefinitely like a desktop can. Just make sure your expectations are realistic.

Yeah, your monitors aren't fantastic (I have one of those!) but they have good color and viewing angles. You'd probably want to keep one if you get a laptop though.

Reactions: AllanGH
Yeah, a gaming laptop probably wouldn't be an improvement over what you have. The 2080 "Max-Q" found in a laptop like that won't be that much faster than a desktop 1070, and probably only about on par with a desktop 2060. These low-power mobile GPUs might have the same core counts as their desktop counterparts, but they've been underclocked to the point where they won't draw much more power than lower-end desktop cards (80-90 watts), to fit within the heat and power limits of a laptop. Nvidia calling these cards "2080" is definitely a bit questionable, even if they tack on the "Max-Q" part.

It's similar for CPUs, where your i7-7700K should outperform something like an i7-8750H in just about any current game. A least the performance differences are not as large compared to their desktop counterparts though.

In terms of performance, a $3000 2080 Max-Q gaming laptop is probably only about on par with $1000 worth of desktop components (not counting peripherals). Unless one needs the system to be mobile, desktop hardware can provide far more performance for less.

And as has been mentioned, packing all that hardware into a thin laptop shell is not going to do any favors for noise, and especially not for thermals, as you can expect that hardware to likely be running at around 80 C under load, if not higher. If you don't like your desktop being noisy, you should lower fan speeds to get the noise levels down, as I suspect you are running your fans at much higher levels than is necessary to keep components at reasonable temperatures.

Everything below your monitors in your system listing just isn't going to factor-into setting a sale price for a used system. Everything from that point up.....I hate to break it to you, but you're looking at an $800.00-ish price tag.

Your best bet is to unload the monitors for what you can get for them, and address the noise issues that you have....get a high quality single monitor until you can pair it up with a second, identical, monitor.