[SOLVED] Should I replace thermal pads for a used GTX 1080 Ti?

XSR

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
Hey,
I bought a used GTX 1080 Ti, is it necessary to replace thermal pads?
And is this too much thermal paste?

img-9983-jpg.178962

img-9982-jpg.178961

img-9981-jpg.178963

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&feature=youtu.be&v=ugznZKvTx7U

Solution
That's a lot of thermal paste. If you don't feel comfortable with a dab the size of a grain of rice. Use a credit card to at least squeegee the paste. So, that it is a very fine, thin layer. Removing any excess.

Those pads are pretty grungy. I'd replace them. Measure the thickness of the non-compressed area. So, you know what thickness to order. Then do some cleaning with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. Everything contacted by the thermal pads should be sparkling. Same goes for the GPU itself. You just need to be very careful around those tiny capacitors.
That's a lot of thermal paste. If you don't feel comfortable with a dab the size of a grain of rice. Use a credit card to at least squeegee the paste. So, that it is a very fine, thin layer. Removing any excess.

Those pads are pretty grungy. I'd replace them. Measure the thickness of the non-compressed area. So, you know what thickness to order. Then do some cleaning with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. Everything contacted by the thermal pads should be sparkling. Same goes for the GPU itself. You just need to be very careful around those tiny capacitors.

Solution