Question Should I Replaced My PSU

ChaZz182

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
I have been having issues lately and I have been considered upgrading my graphics card. I purchased a custom built PC last summer (I supplied my own graphics card that I already had). While asking around it seems the PSU is fairly low on the quality list.

I was just wondering if I should upgrade my PSU before my graphics card (I'm looking at a mid-range graphics card) and how hard it is to replaced the PSU on a computer I didn't build (a lot of cables of zipped tied together and not sure on how exactly the routed the cables)? How much of a risk is there using a lower quality PSU.

i7-8700
16 GB RAM
500 W EVGA Power Supply 80+ White
B360M Pro-VDH Motherboard
120 SSD
Focus G Mini Case

Also, I think the other components are still worth keeping, but I would like to confirm that as well. Also, is there anything else to know about picking out a PSU other then the total power? Do the come in different sizes or other configurations?

Thanks for the help

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
What GPU are you thinking of getting? That's really relevant.

To answer your main question, yes, that PSU wouldn't be great, and doesn't give you much room with a mid-high range GPU. But it's not totally crappy or anything.

I'd recommend a good 550w-650w quality PSU. Something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($100.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $100.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-08 15:02 EDT-0400

It's a quality PSU that will last you 10 years. It will power your system nicely, and allow you to pop any any high end GPU like a GTX2080 with no problems at all.

Your current system is a great gamer. No need to change anything other than a good quality PSU and whatever GPU need for what you want to do. Your current CPU is a solid gaming CPU for at least another 2-3 years and more.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

To answer your main question, yes, that PSU wouldn't be great, and doesn't give you much room with a mid-high range GPU. But it's not totally crappy or anything.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: EVGA BQ 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($83.67 @ OutletPC)
Total: $83.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-08 14:58 EDT-0400

It's a quality PSU that will last you 10 years. It will power your system nicely, and allow you to pop any any high end GPU like a GTX2080 with no problems at all.

Your current system is a great gamer. No need to change anything other than a good quality PSU and whatever GPU need for what you want to do. Your current CPU is a solid gaming CPU for at least another 2-3 years and more.
Even the EVGA BQ below 750W aren't great. You could pick up a Corsair CX which is better quality for much less - I'd still recommend higher quality than a CX, but a CX is decent.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $69.98

Even the EVGA BQ below 750W aren't great. You could pick up a Corsair CX which is better quality for much less - I'd still recommend higher quality than a CX, but a CX is decent.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $69.98

Yes, apologies, when writing the post, I linked the wrong PSU!! DOH :(

Corrected to my original recommendation. Hence the 10 year warranty recommendation!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($100.98 @ Newegg)

Now THAT is a good PSU! :LOL:

ChaZz182

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
A lot of risk - see point 1 on here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

It risks instability and potential risk to your other components. And yes, that PSU is pretty poor. It's not difficult to repalce a PSU, as long as you just prepare yourself and watch some online videos for example, just so you know what to expect.

I have actually build a PC in my younger years. The cabling wasn't pretty, but it worked for a long time. I'm not complete new to this, buy it's been a while and I have always found it a nerve racking experience.

ChaZz182

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013

PCPartPicker Part List

I haven't completely decided, it depends on how much budget I'll have and whether the PSU will need to be replaced as well. Probably either a 1660 or maybe a 1660 Ti. I'm also in Canada so the prices are always higher.

ChaZz182

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
Yes, apologies, when writing the post, I linked the wrong PSU!! DOH :(

Corrected to my original recommendation. Hence the 10 year warranty recommendation!

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm in Canada so I'll have to check out the Canadian price. Are PSU pretty similar in terms of size and such? In other words I don't need to worry about getting something that's the wrong size or something.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have actually build a PC in my younger years. The cabling wasn't pretty, but it worked for a long time. I'm not complete new to this, buy it's been a while and I have always found it a nerve racking experience.
I understand, if you have done it in the past though, it'll be nothing challenging at all.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOsrsHC4CMk

Just take your standard precautions such as:
  • Be sure to discharge any static before working on the components
  • Make sure you don't work on the PC with any power running to it. (Some say leaving PSU plugged in but switched off is fine, but this is only applicable to PSUs with the rear switch)

Are PSU pretty similar in terms of size and such?
PSUs (that are non-proprietary ) are ATX standardised. So no you should be fine. If you have an ATX case, you can get any ATX based PSU (which they basically all are). They are just some varying styles of form factor all specified to ATX.

ChaZz182

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
I understand, if you have done it in the past though, it'll be nothing challenging at all.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOsrsHC4CMk

Just take your standard precautions such as:
  • Be sure to discharge any static before working on the components
  • Make sure you don't work on the PC with any power running to it. (Some say leaving PSU plugged in but switched off is fine, but this is only applicable to PSUs with the rear switch)

PSUs (that are non-proprietary ) are ATX standardised. So no you should be fine. If you have an ATX case, you can get any ATX based PSU (which they basically all are). They are just some varying styles of form factor all specified to ATX.

Thanks for the video. I guess I have a micro-atx case. I assume normal ATX PSU would still work? Looks the it's the same size unit.

ChaZz182

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
It's a 'mini' case, but takes an ATX PSU. Either of those recommended will fit just fine :)

It's a nice, neat little case BTW. I'm getting one! Lots of space inside, and areas to hide cabling etc. The two front intake fans are nice behind the mesh!

The only other computer I built was quite a while ago, it was an older case with no where to hide cables and a non modular power supply.

This one looks like I can removed the other side panels and the cables should just be hidden around the back. Hopefully if I decided to swap out my power supply it a lot easier then I'm afraid it might be.

The only other computer I built was quite a while ago, it was an older case with no where to hide cables and a non modular power supply.

This one looks like I can removed the other side panels and the cables should just be hidden around the back. Hopefully if I decided to swap out my power supply it a lot easier then I'm afraid it might be.

Oh yes. Swapping the PSU is one of the easy kills! It's the mobo, CPU cooler that can be problematic. Just fiddly more than anything. Putting parts together seems daunting, but afterwards, you'll be wondering why you were worrying in the first place. Just follow some good guides as @PC Tailor suggested, and you can PM me if you have any other questions, or need help with anything.

Good luck :)

Last edited: