[SOLVED] Should I return all my pc parts?

amatthews1558

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
I haven't built a PC in over 4 years, I ordered a MSI MAG b550 tomahawk, ryzen 7 3700x. It matched my budget the best as I don't have more than $300-$400 to drop on a CPU. I must of been living under a rock as far as hearing about zen 3 coming out. Is there anything that can justify keeping the parts I ordered? Or should I try to get my money back. (if zen 3 processors are more than $300-$400 I would not buy anyway) but I have a lot of mixed feelings. Can someone help me decide whether I should keep what I ordered as a budget build or make a return to newegg. I might be getting all caught up in the zen 3 hype but last time I made a pc I bought a FX processor 1 month before ryzen came out so please help lol. Will the 3700x be ok for future games? I mainly just want to be able to run future titles no problem I don't need a 3080 graphics card or the best of the best I just want stable performance but from the hype of zen 3 its sounding like my entire build was just a waste of money.

Solution
Yesterday, did that parts selection meet your needs and budget?
Apparently, yes.

There is always something new on the horizon. Now Zen 3, and then the next GPU release from AMD, then maybe a new CPU from Intel....
Chase that 'new thing', and you will never be satisfied.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
If you can get by for a month or more, sure - send it back to newegg.
But you shouldn't buy anything unless you know the price and avaialbility and the reviews and benchmarks are published.

amatthews1558

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
Apparently, yes.

There is always something new on the horizon. Now Zen 3, and then the next GPU release from AMD, then maybe a new CPU from Intel....
Apparently, yes.

Yeah that's a good point, I was really excited for the performance boost I would be getting the 3700x and it would run all the games I currently plan on playing. I saw the hype videos of the zen 3 and got sucked in. I only plan on playing 1080p with a 144hz monitor. Do you think the 3700x overclocked onthe MSI 550 tomahawk with a 5700xt graphics card would run most games on high/ultra settings 100-140 fps? If so that's all I need. And from my research the 3700x with the 5700xt graphics card should do it.