Question Should I return my AMD ryzen 5800x3d? Idle temp 55-70

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2022
So I bought a 5800x3d and I have a few problems with it (I've updated bios to the latest version).
  1. First of all I couldn't get pass bios until I changed UEFI to CSM. Is it something normal?
  2. Idle temperatures are 55-70. This one is really annoying because it forces my cooler to increase speed (and sound...) and I think the normal idle temperature is like 40 deg? Running any app on windows like turn on discord makes it go even higher. Is there a way to decrease it?
  • Processor: Amd ryzen 7 5800x3d
  • Motherboard: MSI b450 gaming plus max
  • Ram: Crucial BallistiX Black 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16
  • Cooler: MSI mag core liquid p240
  • Thermal paste: MX-4
This is unlucky silicon and I should return it or it's normal?

Thanks for help.

Hey there,

There could be a couple of reasons why this is happening.

The cooler may not be seated correctly, so you might have to try that again. By doing so, you will also have to re-apply thermal paste. How did you do that last time? What method. For Ryzen large core count CPU's you would be better thinly spreading the paste over the entire chip. When putting the cooler back, ensure you re-do the screws in a criss cross fashion from one corner to the opposite. This will make the paste spread evenly as you tighten it down again.

Are all you system drivers up to date?

Normal temps to expect

Idle 30-35c
Gaming 45-70c
Full load 70-80c.

These are just rough guides, but ideally you want to be close to that.

What case do you have? How many fans, and in what orientation are they?

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Oct 29, 2022
Hey there,

There could be a couple of reasons why this is happening.

The cooler may not be seated correctly, so you might have to try that again. By doing so, you will also have to re-apply thermal paste. How did you do that last time? What method. For Ryzen large core count CPU's you would be better thinly spreading the paste over the entire chip. When putting the cooler back, ensure you re-do the screws in a criss cross fashion from one corner to the opposite. This will make the paste spread evenly as you tighten it down again.

Are all you system drivers up to date?

Normal temps to expect

Idle 30-35c
Gaming 45-70c
Full load 70-80c.

These are just rough guides, but ideally you want to be close to that.

What case do you have? How many fans, and in what orientation are they?
Thanks for an answer.

So going one by one. Last time I applied it with 5 dots. The cooler has only 2 screws only (1 per side).

All drivers are up to date.

I had the case opened but I have 2 fans in front and 1 in behind. Case is Cooler master MasterCase Mc500MT.

WObUPM8.png
rEvratl.png

I had to rotate it because it didn't want to peel off.
k6KCsSO.png

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thanks for an answer.

So going one by one. Last time I applied it with 5 dots. The cooler has only 2 screws only (1 per side).

All drivers are up to date.

I had the case opened but I have 2 fans in front and 1 in behind. Case is Cooler master MasterCase Mc500MT.

WObUPM8.png
rEvratl.png

I had to rotate it because it didn't want to peel off.
k6KCsSO.png
That is way too much thermal compound. I recommend cleaning all that off and spreading a VERY thin amount across entire CPU surface and then mounting the water block.

Tighten the waterblock completely when re-attaching as well.

Reactions: LeviTech
Oct 29, 2022
After trying with different thermal pastes I can't go below 60 in idle. I'm not sure where is the problem. I'm going to get normal cooler and check if something changes.

If you would come up needing an aio I recommend this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3541065454...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I bought an rgb version of this for about 61 and 10 or so shipping, works pretty well. I had issues because for one I’d not installed watercooling before and they didn’t send the instructions and I couldn’t find a revision number, but through trial and error I found the needed info. They have manuals and videos online. Came with needed parts. Overall for the money paid, excellent cooler and you still get a 6 year warranty.

Oct 29, 2022
What CPU did you originally have installed? Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

I suspect your AIO is the issue at this point.

How are you measuring temperatures, by the way?
Nothing is being overlcoked rn. I've been using ryzen 3600 previously. I've found Fortis 3 HE1425 and temperatures for ryzen 3600 and 5800x3d are as:
0XXzSAQ.png

z0CxldV.png

This is only windows and chrome opened.
For temperatures I'm using HWMonitor and Ryzen Masters.

Apparently these AIO's by msi are junk and prone to failure. I have the c240 and most likely will be replacing in the future. I would recommend replacement

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3541065454...1QoO_yZSxW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Just put an rgb version of this on my system and pretty happy with it. Looks like Arctic directly sells it, but look at the price. That cooler on Newegg is about 120 dollars. In my case I did have to spend time finding what revision I had because instructions weren’t in my box but I did save 60-70 bucks to, and the manual was online along with videos from Arctic showing how to install.

Oct 29, 2022

Just put an rgb version of this on my system and pretty happy with it. Looks like Arctic directly sells it, but look at the price. That cooler on Newegg is about 120 dollars. In my case I did have to spend time finding what revision I had because instructions weren’t in my box but I did save 60-70 bucks to, and the manual was online along with videos from Arctic showing how to install.
I'm outside of US so I would have to find something similar but if it's really the AIO problem then I'm selling this one and probably going with: Noctua NH-D15.

LeviTech

Commendable
Sep 27, 2021
The AMD 7 5800X3D are known as being hot. Look at the power difference between 3600 and the 5800X3D in the pics above. With a wrong cooler could make that happen. If you can, try to change the AIO to a 360mm or an Air Noctua D15.
Set less paste the what you did in the pics above.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.