Should I return my laptop?

Kelseamac

Honorable
Sep 6, 2016
I've got a new HP Envy X360 with the 5500u. I've had it for about two months but still have a month left to return it. In the time I have had it, it has BSOD'd about 10 times (Security check failures and Resource not owned). It has also straight up crashed to powered off about 3 times over the course of last weekend (while charged to ~80% and once while plugged in).

I will reach out to HP regarding a warranty claim, but am considering simply returning it given the issues I have seen other users have with the laptop (hinge issues and a friend that had the exact same crashes). The only issue with this is that the laptop is perfect for my needs as its within my budget, great for stylus notes, and can run Solidworks reasonably well.

Overall I'm just trying to figure out if I should stick with the laptop, or get rid of it while I still can.

Thanks for any help.

Lutfij

Titan
I would get the laptop returned since troubleshooting it would take a couple of hours to a few days to narrow down what's wrong with said laptop. By straight crashed, you mean it powered off while it was taxed/stressed or when it was idling? I'd advise on using the serial number for the laptop and enter it into HPO's support site, and check for the BIOS version that's listed on said support site.

You can use CPU-Z to show you what your BIOS version is(listed under Mainboard tab) at the time of writing. I'd try and get into BIOS and see if you can remain there indefinitely. Also, what OS are you working with? Windows 10 or 11? If Windows 10, please mention the version(not edition) of the OS.

Personally I hate the Envy's since they look good but functionally they are horrible. I have been repairing one that constantly overheats since the exhaust venting on said Envy is restrictive.

Kelseamac

Honorable
Sep 6, 2016
I would get the laptop returned since troubleshooting it would take a couple of hours to a few days to narrow down what's wrong with said laptop. By straight crashed, you mean it powered off while it was taxed/stressed or when it was idling? I'd advise on using the serial number for the laptop and enter it into HPO's support site, and check for the BIOS version that's listed on said support site.

You can use CPU-Z to show you what your BIOS version is(listed under Mainboard tab) at the time of writing. I'd try and get into BIOS and see if you can remain there indefinitely. Also, what OS are you working with? Windows 10 or 11? If Windows 10, please mention the version(not edition) of the OS.

Personally I hate the Envy's since they look good but functionally they are horrible. I have been repairing one that constantly overheats since the exhaust venting on said Envy is restrictive.

BIOS is up to date (as well as drivers and OS), running Windows 11. By straight crash I mean during light use (OneNote). The laptop is relatively stable and I can stay in BIOS, but it crashes to BSOD every few days under light use.

I'll think I will definitely lean towards returning it, likely just as soon as this school semester is over so I can have time to switch over.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
BIOS is up to date (as well as drivers and OS), running Windows 11. By straight crash I mean during light use (OneNote). The laptop is relatively stable and I can stay in BIOS, but it crashes to BSOD every few days under light use.

I'll think I will definitely lean towards returning it, likely just as soon as this school semester is over so I can have time to switch over.
Return/exchange it. Good luck.