[SOLVED] Should i return my new Seagate 8 TB HDD

Sohaib

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
Hello all, so i bought a new seagate 8 TB hdd model ST8000DM004 for archive purposes and its making lots of noise.
This is my 3rd hdd of same size and model in my system and 8 hard drive in my PC total and its loudest of them all. My oldest hdd is as old as 6 years but it doesn't make any sound.

The noise is not clicking sound and there seems to be no error so far. I have done SMART and quick check with HDTune Pro and the disk turns out fine. I have been copying 3 TB worth of data for the past 3 hours and its over half done with consistently above 100 MB/s but the noise is making me worry.

I don't want to copy tons of data and find out the disk has failed after couple of months. The data is not critical as i have external copy of it but if there is a problem i might just change it right now then have to RMA later and spend hours again restoring data.

Any suggestions?

SOLVED:
Turns out the disk was not properly secured making it to vibrate much more then other drives. Adding 2 additional screws to the side made it much quiter and in-line with other mechanical drives present.

Last edited:
Solution
As you said, you have 2 previous HDDs, same model and size, which run quieter so your new one is the problem. Just get it replaced.

Just be sure that the new HDD is in fact the problem. Make sure it's properly secured. My Toshiba X300 8TB would vibrate a LOT until I made it was tight, with rubber grommets.

Endre

Reputable
HDDs are old technology that must be replaced (just like tape cassettes).

I’d take it back and buy an SSD (you’d be able to copy files at 400MB/s; no more mechanical stuff spinning; smaller size; more durability).

The price difference still exists, but it’s not as much as it used to be in the past.

Sohaib

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
HDDs are old technology that must be replaced (just like tape cassettes).

I’d take it back and buy an SSD (you’d be able to copy files at 400MB/s; no more mechanical stuff spinning; smaller size; more durability).

The price difference still exists, but it’s not as much as it used to be in the past.
Thanks for letting me know. Now i have 40 TB of internal storage on my PC. Would you like to finance 40 TB of SSD storage for me and if its even possible to get that much storage installed via ssd on a single PC?

And just how is your comment in any way related to my question? Or did you just felt the need to post something?

400 MB/s? I have 2 NVMe drives 1 for OS and 1 for games that does over 1 GB/s transfer so you are wrong in that area too

RealBeast

Titan
Run SMART tests on the drives to determine if you should be concerned.

Hard drives are not going anywhere soon. I just finished a new discount build with 8 12TB WD enterprise drives on an Adaptec 8805 at very low cost. SSDs would have been astronomically more expensive. While I have three other arrays, this is the newest and largest and the others will become cold storage.

All drive over about 8TB now are helium so not an issue.

When backing up data you really need to consider cost, options, need for immediate recovery, and your budget. In other words will Internet backup like Backblaze work for you?

Other than during an array build, my drives are very quiet. (now 12TB WD enterprise SAS at an incredibly low price).

saabir2007

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2013
As you said, you have 2 previous HDDs, same model and size, which run quieter so your new one is the problem. Just get it replaced.

Just be sure that the new HDD is in fact the problem. Make sure it's properly secured. My Toshiba X300 8TB would vibrate a LOT until I made it was tight, with rubber grommets.

Solution

Sohaib

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007

This, the drive was not secured properly. I used 4 screws instead of 2 and changed bays and its much more bearable now. It still makes a little noise when copying data but now its in-line with other mechanical drives when writing.

Endre

Reputable
Thanks for letting me know. Now i have 40 TB of internal storage on my PC. Would you like to finance 40 TB of SSD storage for me and if its even possible to get that much storage installed via ssd on a single PC?

And just how is your comment in any way related to my question? Or did you just felt the need to post something?

400 MB/s? I have 2 NVMe drives 1 for OS and 1 for games that does over 1 GB/s transfer so you are wrong in that area too

I was talking about SATA SSDs (400MB/s), because NVMe SSDs are really expensive if you want that much space.

TRENDING THREADS