should I revive desktop PC XP-MCE dual core3.0, 500gbHD, wi-fi - I'm not gaming

TBMan

Prominent
Jul 28, 2017
I have this working PC , obviosly no support for XP - I would like to use as basic info searching , storing photos/manuals etc. I'm a disabled former auto tech, had my own shop for 20+ yrs - Is this worth updating to Windows 10 , maybe add ram(2 of the 4 slots are empty), a new PSU, I did install Nvidia GT220 graphics card / I hate to pitch it , I could put it on my work bench and still get my cable router wi-fi , is this worth putting a few hundred $$ into it or should I move on ? Thanks ALL !

Solution
Win10 isn't compatible with such an old hardware and you'll face issues to get it running. Though, if you plan to use it for web browsing and storing document/ picture files, i'd put GNU/Linux distro on that ancient hardware.

Some GNU/Linux distros, e.g Lubuntu or LXLE, both based on Ubuntu, are designed to run on older hardware. They are officially supported by Ubuntu community with software updates. Or you can also use more popular GNU/Linux distro, e.g Linux Mint.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Win10 isn't compatible with such an old hardware and you'll face issues to get it running. Though, if you plan to use it for web browsing and storing document/ picture files, i'd put GNU/Linux distro on that ancient hardware.

Some GNU/Linux distros, e.g Lubuntu or LXLE, both based on Ubuntu, are designed to run on older hardware. They are officially supported by Ubuntu community with software updates. Or you can also use more popular GNU/Linux distro, e.g Linux Mint.

Solution

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Just because OP's PC is old doesn't mean it's slow or POS.

To OP:
Since GNU/Linux distro doesn't cost you anything (can't say that about Micro$oft Windows), i'd put GNU/Linux on it to get it going. Though, adding additional RAM isn't needed, unless you plan to do some video editing. But a new PSU is probably needed if the current PSU is too old.

Going with a laptop as suggested above may spare you from the time spent on installing GNU/Linux and get it running, if the laptop comes in running conditions with pre-installed OS.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
While it isn't as fast as current tech, in it's own right, it will do well as an office PC with GNU/Linux as an OS.

My old AMD build (full specs in my sig) is also from XP era and i don't say it's slow. I have dual-boot on it with Win XP Pro SP2 32-bit for retro gaming (games pre-2005) and Linux Mint for web browsing.

TRENDING THREADS