[SOLVED] Should I risk a bit of a bottle neck for a better hardware or go with a lesser hardware and have no bottleneck?

ShlomiU

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Hey

So I am upgrading my PC a bit and I have a bit of a dilemma.

My current build is OLD AF.

Processor: i5 3550k 3.5Ghz

GPU: Radeon R9 200 Series.

I want to upgrade my GPU to a RX570 , thing is they don't have it in stock but they do have the 580 in stock.

After checking with a bottleneck calculator , 570 is a perfect fit for my CPU with a 0.3% bottleneck , but with the 580 it's 10.32% (and the website considers everything above 10% a bottleneck).

Idk what I should get , should I get a better hardware but have a bit of a bottleneck? will it offset because it's more powerful than a 570? or should I get a 570 and have no bottleneck?

Solution
1. bottleneck calculators are worse than useless. They have people chasing magical numbers that cannot exist.

2. As you have (partially) correctly surmised, lower spec parts can result in a lower "bottleneck number". And lower performance. Don't do that.
Hey

I want to upgrade my GPU to a RX570 , thing is they don't have it in stock but they do have the 580 in stock.

After checking with a bottleneck calculator , 570 is a perfect fit for my CPU with a 0.3% bottleneck , but with the 580 it's 10.32% (and the website considers everything above 10% a bottleneck).

Idk what I should get , should I get a better hardware but have a bit of a bottleneck? will it offset because it's more powerful than a 570? or should I get a 570 and have no bottleneck?
Even with a RX 580 you'll have minimal bottleneck. You have nothing to worry about. Get the best GPU you can afford. You'll need a new build down the road anyways. In the meantime you'll get good performance and you can move the video card to the new build later on. If your power supply is also old, consider replacing it along with the GPU.

Hey

I dont know where you are located but you should really look at the used market. RX580s are under 100 USD here in North America and GTX 1060s are around 100 USD.

ShlomiU

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
I dont know where you are located but you should really look at the used market. RX580s are under 100 USD here in North America and GTX 1060s are around 100 USD.

Unfortunately I am not located in the US and the used cards market here is minimial. and to the rest of you, thank you , I'll get the 580.

Hey

Each part can be own bottleneck, mostly CPU for playing in 1008p or less and GPU for higher resolutions and frequency.

USAFRet

Titan
1. bottleneck calculators are worse than useless. They have people chasing magical numbers that cannot exist.

2. As you have (partially) correctly surmised, lower spec parts can result in a lower "bottleneck number". And lower performance. Don't do that.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution