xroots

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Fisrt and foremost, this is the first time I've built a computer, you can find my build information and original problem that I solved in this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/316752-31-computer-time-start-properly-help#t2357099

The only difference is that I have two of the memory kits on that list, providing a total of 24GB of RAM.

If someone requests it for whatever reason, I would be more than happy to post the links in this thread, but during the time of this threads creation, I won't.

Here's the problem(s).

After resolving the first issue, this was resolved through taking everything out, and putting it back together, putting the plastic on the backplate of the h80, and not connecting the power LED. This paragraph won't mean anything if you don't read the original thread though. Anyway, on to the current problem(s).

NOTE: It may help if you read the additional info section of this thread first.

I decided to leave my computer on overnight to see if it would stay stable or not. As it turns out, in the morning, it was off. I pressed the power button and then the fan LEDs would rapidly light up and turn off (so it was getting power and constantly shutting itself off). I then opened the case and looked inside. During the small time of the powering on, the two case fans on the top, and one on the front would spin. HOWEVER, the two radiator fans on the h80 weren't spinning, so I thought that the fans had died over night, but I found it very unlikely that both of them would do this. So I took out all of the memory, and plugged the original case fan into the CPU fan header slot. It got power, and didn't rapidly power on/off, just didn't post, which is what I expected, so I still thought the h80 fans were the problem. I plugged one in to the CPU fan header and it spun, so I got a bit confused, put the h80 unit back together, put one stick of memory in, reset the CMOS, and everything ran fine with 4 of the 6 sticks of RAM seated. I was using it for a while. A few hours later, it randomly shut off completely, which must have been what it did over night. I then pressed the power button, and it did the infinite power on/off rapidly problem. So again, I re seated the memory, cleared CMOS, and it worked. Each time I re seated the memory, it took a while to find out how many and which slots/channels to put it in. This will be covered in additional info. About an hour later, leading up to why I'm making this thread, I had to restart my computer for a driver update, and then it started doing the power on/off rapidly problem after the restart. This time, however, The two case fans on the top were the only fans getting power/spinning, and these fans are on a molex connector line, whereas the others are connected directly to the motherboard. I fixed this, again, by taking out all of the memory, turning it on, seeing all the fans spin, then figuring out a combination of the memory to make it power on/post. Of course, I had to clear the CMOS.

So my question is, do I have a faulty motherboard? Or is it a different issue.

Additional info:

Upon installing 24GB of RAM, it only picked up 16GB on BIOS, and in the system window on windows, it said I had 24GB installed and 16 GB usable.

My top two case fans are on a molex line, the h80 pump is connected through molex, the two radiator fans on the h80 and the bottom case fan are on motherboard fan headers(one of the radiator fans is on the CPU fan header) The reason the pump is connected to molex instead of the CPU fan header is because when it was connected to the CPU fan header it wouldn't turn on.

Before these problems, it turned out that if I had a stick of memory in one of the slots of the "top" channel, it would start up for a few seconds and then shut down, infinitely, like how it was with my first problem in the other thread listed, this lead me to believe that something was wrong with the motherboard or CPU, and I re seated the CPU, etc, and nothing changed. Then I ran into these issues. Also, I AM currently using this computer with errors in order to post this thread, if anyone was wondering.

Sorry for the wall of text, I just don't know what's wrong at this point. My friend who helped me with the original problem said I should RMA my motherboard, but I'd like to see if the people at tomshardware knew any tips or tricks to test if this what I should really do.

I will answer every question asked the best I can.

sonicfantom

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Try a BIOS update first, see if that fixes things.

There is definitely something wrong - I'm assuming you've checked your memory to make sure it's clear of errors. If you have access to another LGA1366 chip, I'd suggest testing that out first - it's possible your CPU has a faulty memory controller. That's the only possible issue I can think of other than a faulty motherboard.

Go ahead and RMA. The motherboard is, in my opinion, the most important component in any system.

xroots

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
Alright, so I was going to RMA it so I took everything apart. After taking the CPU out, there was apparently bent pins in the socket. A couple. I have no idea whether or not they were from putting the CPU in or taking it out.

I have a few questions about this issue.

1. If I were to repair the pins, would it fix all of the issues I've been having? Such as the fans connected directly to the motherboard instead of a molex connector not receiving power on startup, and my memory showing up in windows as 24 GB (16 GB usable)

2. If I were to unbend the pins myself successfully, is there still a chance that they could still be bad and I could mess up my CPU?

3. If I have to send it in for repair, would I RMA it through newegg or EVGA? (I bought it from Newegg) and if I sent it in through newegg, would they send it to EVGA for repair after seeing the physical damage?

4. If I do send it in for repair/RMA would they test the board for me making sure that the bent pins were the only issue? I don't want to send it in to get it repaired for $50-$80 and have it sent back with the same issues I've been having. (Or would they just replace the board?)

Sorry for the terrible pictures, I couldn't seem to get the lighting right and this is the best quality I could get.

2e0mtjq.jpg

if0v7q.jpg

10o32fs.jpg

xroots

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
That's what I was thinking of in the first place, I read a few methods through the use of google about unbending them but I haven't seen anything specifically for lga 1366. Just seems way too difficult, especially since the pins are angled from the start. I guess that's good enough to convince me, so my final question is about the RMA process.

Do I -HAVE- to RMA it through newegg or can I do it through EVGA? (I don't mind paying the repair fee, just so long as I dont have to spend another $200 on a board)

Hypothetically let's say I -DO- get the pins unbent perfectly, would there be risk of CPU damage?