[SOLVED] Should I RMA my MSI RTX 2080 Ti Duke?

The_Prof_Man

Commendable
Jul 26, 2017
Hello. There have been a ton of helpful posts and answers on this forum that I've used over the last few days to test my system.

Problem: computer has been running great since I built it last summer. Randomly I was in a game and the screen froze with artifacts all over it and the screen went blank. I hadn't done any updates or anything in at least a few weeks. Computer got stuck in an endless boot loop. Only able to load up safe mode.

Tests: In safe mode I used DDU and then was able to load windows. Tried to install the latest Nvidia drivers, but the screen would go black and eventually reboot PC during the install of the graphics card. I also, tried a clean install of windows 10, reset CMOS, reset BIOS to factory settings, updated BIOS, verified I had the latest drivers for MB and every other hardware installed. I was leaning towards PSU or GPU. So I borrowed my friends GTX 1660 Ti and computer worked fine. It passes 3D Mark Timespy and Furmark without a problem. He let me borrow the entire weekend and it held up fine for gaming sessions.

My question is that I'm assuming the RTX 2080 Ti needs to be RMA'd, but is it possible still that it could be the PSU? I just wonder since the GTX 1660 Ti draws so much less power than the RTX 2080 Ti.

System: (nothing is OC, all at factory settings)

MB: Asus Maximus Hero IX
GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Ti Duke
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR 4 16GB (2 x 8 GB)
CPU: I7-7770K
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G2, 80+ Gold

All hardware was bought together around July 2018.

THANK YOU!

Solution
I would definitely be RMAing the GPU at this point.

There is always possibility on the PSU, but in reality, the artefacts are more likely to occur when the GPU is at fault, than the PSU. Typically you're more likely to encounter shut downs, driver failures, etc.

However your symptoms are likely more indicative of GPU failure.
That and the G2 is a decent PSU, with MORE than enough wattage to supply the 2080 ti.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would definitely be RMAing the GPU at this point.

There is always possibility on the PSU, but in reality, the artefacts are more likely to occur when the GPU is at fault, than the PSU. Typically you're more likely to encounter shut downs, driver failures, etc.

However your symptoms are likely more indicative of GPU failure.
That and the G2 is a decent PSU, with MORE than enough wattage to supply the 2080 ti.

Reactions: The_Prof_Man
Solution