Should i run my AIO cooler pump speed at 100%, will high rpms cause heat rather than cooling?

NiBy

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
i have a kraken x62 and running the pump at 100% is pretty much unaudible when my case is shut and i have headphones on. Is it true that running the pump at high rpm can actually increase liquid temp rather than cool it?

In cam software the kraken can go from 60% to 100%

silent mode starts at 60% and performance mode starts at 70%

Solution
The short answer would be : Do not put it on 100% speed because that might cause crashes in your PC and it will definitely lower the lifetime of the cooler for example : if you use a cooler on 70% speed constantly the cooling system might live for a. Couple of years but if it's on 100% all the time you will be lucky if it survived for more than a year, and using it on 100% won't feel so much improved from 90% speed So I would stick to 70-85 % speed and that should give you nearly the maximum potential of the cooling system.

robax91

Distinguished
Stick it at 80% if you can set it to anything. It won't heat up the loop at any speed, I think the slower the fan and the slower the flow rate, the warmer the rad gets because it cannot dissipate heat as fast as it gains it. If you run the pump at 100% it probably won't hurt it, but better safe than sorry is my motto and I try not to run anything at max unless I need to, just set your fan profiles to something reasonable. Also remember that CPUs won't die it they are at temps like 70-80c, the only bad thing about high temps is longevity, but that only matters if they are at those temperatures (mixed with high voltages) for long periods of time. I usually set my fan profiles as low as possible at idle, and ramp up only enough to get 70c when CPU is at full load (gaming).

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I always run at 100% with mine. but my old one would auto change speeds depending on water temps. my current one it just runs at 100% (OR you can set it to quite mode.. but then the water gets too warm.. as it runs like 60% or something.

Jul 4, 2018
The short answer would be : Do not put it on 100% speed because that might cause crashes in your PC and it will definitely lower the lifetime of the cooler for example : if you use a cooler on 70% speed constantly the cooling system might live for a. Couple of years but if it's on 100% all the time you will be lucky if it survived for more than a year, and using it on 100% won't feel so much improved from 90% speed So I would stick to 70-85 % speed and that should give you nearly the maximum potential of the cooling system.

Solution

NiBy

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

do you have any sources to back this up?