Question Should I sacrifice an M.2 512GB for an RTX 2060?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SleuthX

Prominent
Jan 22, 2022
I could get a GTX 1660 super with a 512GB M.2, and I could also get an RTX 2060 but I'll have to go with a 240GB SSD. So what should I do in this sensitive situation?

Explain to me how an exact model of the ram with the same frequency and size wouldn't work
A bit of explanation here: RAM can run in either single-channel or dual-channel mode. Dual channel gives twice the memory bandwidth but requires two identical sticks of RAM. Single channel you can mix and match RAM modules as you like. Dual-channel does give better performance; how much is up for discussion.

So when people are telling you that putting in an identical 8GB stick might not work, they're talking about dual channel. It'll definitely work in single channel, and you'll still get better performance than with a single 8GB stick, but it won't perform as well as 2x8GB in dual channel.

Why not when the model and manufacturer is exactly the same? It's a bit like if you bought a small table made out of real pine wood. A few years later you might buy a second one because you wanted a matching pair. You go to the same supplier and order the same table. It's still pine, it's still the same size and dimensions, but when you put it next to your first one it's a slightly different shade because wood varies depending on the tree and when it was cut and so on. If you wanted a matching pair of tables, you'd buy two at the same time from a supplier who'd spent time finding two tables in their stock that were as close in shade as possible.

Dual-channel needs the RAM sticks to be as much the same as possible. 2x8GB will have been checked. 1x8GB + 1x8GB might be okay or might not.

I've already done that. So, the memory, although same spec, voltage and timings are most likely from different silicon. This is the key thing.

When you buy in a matched 2 x 8 or 2 x 16gb kit, those DIMMS have been tested to work together. This brings the QVL into line. The QVL is a list of ram that will work as a kit/pack od 2 or 4 DIMMS. If you buy separate DIMMs some time apart, the chances of them being on the same silicon is slim. This is where the DIMMs 'may' not work together.

By adding a single DIMM with the same specs, you are not guaranteed they will work together. You are only guaranteed it when they are from the matched kit. Most memory manufacturers will say this too.

As one of the other posters mentioned, they could work together flawlessly. But you won't know until you try. If they don't work, you know where to go.

Roland is bang on and has explained this very well.

If you want my more simplified explanation OP, for the same reason as it is possible to have two 100% identical hardware combinations, with 100% identical software installed on them, and for both of those systems to behave differently.

That's just hardware. And the people here are just being straight up with you, that's the nature of hardware and software, but especially hardware.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Dual channel gives twice the memory bandwidth but requires two identical sticks of RAM.

Hey there,

So this statement isn't entirely accurate. You can of course use two different 8gb sticks (providing they work together) to achieve Dual Channel. Dual channel does not require a matching kit. However, for best compatibility and stability, having a 2 x matched kit is the way to go. Dual Channel is not dependant on the ram being in a kit though.

So when people are telling you that putting in an identical 8GB stick might not work, they're talking about dual channel. It'll definitely work in single channel, and you'll still get better performance than with a single 8GB stick, but it won't perform as well as 2x8GB in dual channel.

As above. If both sticks work together (which is possible) then dual channel is possible. A good example of this would be in laptops (but also desktops). You could have a Corsair 2933mhz SO-DIMM, and another Samsung 2933mhz SO-DIMM with same timings. They will often work together (laptops are much more forgiving for mixing ram) with no issues, and of course will be in dual channel mode.

Sometimes though, the DIMMs/SO-DIMMs will default to the lowest timings or clock speed of the slowest DIMM.

So with the above example of Corsair 2933mhz DIMM which might be CL18, and the Samsung 2933mhz DIMM being CL16, they will both run at the slowest, in this case the CL18 timings.

On desktops, you can play around with timings, voltage and SOC to help make ram that doesn't work together, and get them to work together. But, it takes a lot of tinkering around with sub timings, and this can be a right pain in the butt.