Question Should I save up for a Gtx 1060 6 GB?

mmtarek005

Prominent
Jul 25, 2018
So I am currently using the built in Vega 11 graphics that comes with the ryzen 5 2400g Cpu,and I am planning on upgrading my setup.Should I get a gtx 1060? Keep in mind I'm on a tight budget and this will probably take a year of saving up.

You could. But given the length of time it will take you to save up you may as well see what else is available in a year's time. Perhaps the GTX 1660 ti may have dropped in price, or other market influences change prices of currently available graphics cards.

There are a couple of reasons why it would be worth saving up for a videocard. One, your Vega graphics use system ram. So for example if you have 8gb system ram and the game uses 2gb, you really only have 6gb to use for the game itself. Videocards have their own vram, which frees up your system ram for other things. The other thing is your Vega graphics are low end for gaming, equivalent to a GT 1030. Even a GTX 1050 would be much faster. A 1060 would be great for 1080p gaming.

If you won't be buying anything for a year then don't be surprised if a year from now you have better choices than a 1060.

frequentpilgrim

Prominent
Nov 23, 2018
So I am currently using the built in Vega 11 graphics that comes with the ryzen 5 2400g Cpu,and I am planning on upgrading my setup.Should I get a gtx 1060? Keep in mind I'm on a tight budget and this will probably take a year of saving up.

A 1060 will play most games very well at 1080p 60fps with your current setup. You can go a little cheaper and get an RX 580 and have almost identical performance, but save some money. But, the best deal possible for gaming right now is to get a used RX 570 from ebay. This is about half the price of a 1060 for ~90% of the performance. Just be sure to buy from a good seller and stress the card as soon as you get it. Send it back for a refund if you find anything wrong with it.

Here is a video of the results you can expect with an RX 570 and your 2400g:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMRsh_mfY4A