should I sell my gaming pc?

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Should I sell my gaming pc?, I`m 25 and when I put this baby together it cost me around 3000-3500$, I`m currently during master degree and my hobby is pc gaming/pc tinkering, pc hardware in general, sometimes i feel that I`m giving to much time to this hubby and not focusing on school much. but at the same time I feel that it`s a habit forming thing, so even if I sold the pc, I would still be doing the same thing on the laptop and such!.
I can probably sell it for around 1300$ or around this range. I`m really hesitant on selling it cuz.
1- selling used electronics is asking for trouble ( from experience) if the buyer break something or miss a settings he won`t stop calling asking for his money back, even if you told him upfront there is no warranty.
2- there is no way I can buy a pc with the same power and ability for the same price.
3- its not only for gaming but more like an entertainment hub, were it keeps me from doing other stuff and quite honestly from wasting money going out all the time.
4- I`m pushed to sell it cuz I`m residing in another country and I don`t want to carry it with me when I travel, but I can always buy a suitcase that can fit both screen and case, which lets face it if it happen it will be happening like once every 6-12 months. , I`m not selling the audio and peripherals, only the case alone.

so here are the specs of the machine
- ASUS Rampage IV Gene LGA 2011 Intel X79 motherboard.
- Intel i7-4820K 3.70 GHz 10MB Cache (overclocked to 4.2GHz).
- ASUS GTX 670 SLI 4Gb direct cuii( two cards in sli)
- Samsung S24D590L 1080p monitor.
- Crucial 128 GB SSD for windows and programs.
- 3TB hard disk( Seagate Barracuda 7200 3 TB (7200RPM ).
- 16GB Ram 4x Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 4Gb 1600mhz.
- Corsair Hydro series H100i CPU cooler.
- Corsair Obsidian Series 350D Micro ATX Computer Case.
- Seasonic PLATINUM-1000 ATX 1000 Power Supply.
-------peripherals--------
- Mionix Naos 8200 optical gaming mouse.
- Corsair Vengeance K90 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
- Razer Blackwidow tournment edition.
-------audio------------
- Creative Titanium HD audiophile grade soundcard hooked to Schiit asgard amplifier.
- Denon AH-D5000 refernce studio headphones
- hyperX Cloud Pro gaming headset hooked to sound blaster X-fi HD external DAC/AMP
anyway would appreciate an input from a fellow pc gamer or someone in the same position I am.

Solution
you`ve practically answered your own question in the 1,2,3 points you wrote above. but I`m gonna give my opinion anyway
A- the cheapest decent gaming laptop with say a gtx970m will set u back at around 1500$, so you have to pay 300$ out of your pocket after selling your desktop, so u`ll have yes a portable but an inferior machine, believe it or not 2 gtx 670 4gb is still a bit faster than the deskop and mobile version of the gtx970 and for laughes at least you have 4gb of vram not 3.5gb of vram hehe.

B- the worst kind of electronic one can sell is a custom build desktop pc, unlike laptops, phones etc, cuz of the diversity of the setup and the probability of tinkering and ruining the components, I`ll give u scenario you sell it today...

headon

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
you`ve practically answered your own question in the 1,2,3 points you wrote above. but I`m gonna give my opinion anyway
A- the cheapest decent gaming laptop with say a gtx970m will set u back at around 1500$, so you have to pay 300$ out of your pocket after selling your desktop, so u`ll have yes a portable but an inferior machine, believe it or not 2 gtx 670 4gb is still a bit faster than the deskop and mobile version of the gtx970 and for laughes at least you have 4gb of vram not 3.5gb of vram hehe.

B- the worst kind of electronic one can sell is a custom build desktop pc, unlike laptops, phones etc, cuz of the diversity of the setup and the probability of tinkering and ruining the components, I`ll give u scenario you sell it today u got ur money its all good the seller calls telling you that his having a bdsm issue, you tell him to go into bios to revert the processor to stock, he goes into bios, miss everything up and he end up destroying one of the ram sticks. whats next? you say its his fault but he says he wants him money back, there are tons of scenarios where things can go wrong, that's why selling desktop pcs is usually a trade done to friends and family imo, otherwise when u sell ur pc with no warranty by u, use public place, install it and try it for him then throw the sim card and delete the temp E-mail u used. something I`m sure most of us won`t be comfy doing.

C- you lack of studying or dedication to your master program has nothing to do with your gaming pc, if you sell it your just gonna end up spending all those hours on your laptop ( which of course u won`t be selling as well since its essential). time management and self discipline is the key here, everyone should have a hubby and believe it or not, pc gaming could have possibly prevented you from doing other bad things that could prevented u from being in the master program in the 1st place. and yes u might have 3000$ machine but you could`ve spent far more money on useless pointless activities and stuff. so why not look at it as a failsafe useful hubby, I bet ur like the rest of us, an unofficial pc technician for ur family, friends, workplace, all this learned from pc gaming.

D- worried about transportation, your 350d case is small enough to fit into a 27 inch suitcase with the 24inch monitor u have, or better yet remove the gpus and hdd and transport it in ur box, if ur moving every 6 months then this wont be much of a hassle and not worth getting a gaming laptop for. personal use items like that should be cleared in airports with little to no customs.
so bro, keep the thing and game on, but moderately, better yet go into any show ur setup threads and see how most people there are all have outdated computers but the way they decorate and arrange their setup clean and pretty that will make your saliva droll. u can be one of those people who turn their desks into a master art collection where the center piece being ur computer.
hope this helps :) 1st post by the way. im a blogger that's why I rant too much lol

Solution

fastwing76

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
thanks headon, and welcome to tomshw, I just picked ur reply as best answer since ur the only one who cared to reply. and u took alot of effort in what ur saying, unfortunately I`m still torn, since I`m in a temporary place in my life right now, and carrying a pc tower around is still seem too much of a hassle. at the same time selling it won`t really solve anything! I`m keeping it for the time being. I really don`t want to sell it and have the buyer harass me whenever he faces and issue.

TRENDING THREADS