Should I sell my laptop and PC for a better laptop?

Evary

Commendable
Feb 25, 2019
All the prices are going to be in CAD, since I live in Canada. Also, sorry for any english mistakes, as it isn't my first langauge.

Okay so to give a bit of context, I'm currently at college which is a few hundreds kilometers away from where I live. Because of that, I only get to use my PC (pcpartpicker list here, original prices, in $CAD) and good screen 1-2 weeks per month.

I also have an Omen 15 laptop that I bought for college, with an additionnal 256GB NVME SSD, but since I bought it on a rush, I didn't bother looking at the review for this specific model, and the 60hz/60%NTSC/250nitz screen seriously bothers me.

I'm thinking about selling my PC for around $1000-1100$, and my laptop for ~$1300, and I would buy this MSI GS66, with a RTX 3060, having to pay $300-$500 extra. I'm not worried with upgradability of the system, since in two to three years, I should already be working full time, out of school.

Do you think this would be a good idea? Is there anything I'm forgetting about this situation? I love my PC, but I don't know if I would put myself at risk of losing too much money buying a laptop, since something like this happened to me in the past (fried motherboard screen connector on 2800$ alienware). Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
Is there anything I'm forgetting about this situation?
Yes.

"I'm thinking about selling my PC for around $1000-1100$, and my laptop for ~$1300 "
Can you actually sell your existing things for that much?
How much was the laptop when it was new?

Your PC was $1200CAD new. It will not sell for $1000-$1100.

Evary

Commendable
Feb 25, 2019
Yes.

"I'm thinking about selling my PC for around $1000-1100$, and my laptop for ~$1300 "
Can you actually sell your existing things for that much?
How much was the laptop when it was new?

Your PC was $1200CAD new. It will not sell for $1000-$1100.
Sorry for the late answer, I bought my laptop for 1800$ new.

The laptop 3000 series aren’t much better than the 2000 in performance. Just stick with the PC, gaming laptops are generally very poor value for money and suck as laptops. Personally I have my desktop for heavy work and gaming and just use a MacBook for day to day computing because windows is a buggy pile of crap :)

Last edited:

Evary

Commendable
Feb 25, 2019
The laptop 3000 series aren’t much better than the 2000 in performance. Just stick with the PC, gaming laptops are generally very poor value for money and suck as laptops. Personally I have my desktop for heavy work and gaming and just use a MacBook for day to day computing because windows is a buggy pile of crap :)
I'd love to, but it's really just been a waste this year, I didn't get to use it that much since I was always gone :/

I have a switch. That is not the point of my question, I need a laptop and I like PC games way more than switch games
And gaming laptops are generally poor. The 3000 series GPUs are not worth an upgrade over the 2000 series as most of the improvement seen in the 3000 series desktop cards has been by ramping up the power consumption, obviously this cannot be done in laptop chips.

Evary

Commendable
Feb 25, 2019
And gaming laptops are generally poor. The 3000 series GPUs are not worth an upgrade over the 2000 series as most of the improvement seen in the 3000 series desktop cards has been by ramping up the power consumption, obviously this cannot be done in laptop chips.
As I showed in my original post, my laptop has a 1660ti and my PC a 1660 super. I do not have a 2000 series.