Jul 30, 2021
So back in late 2019 - to early 2020 I had finally saved up enough for my first PC build, obviously the timing couldn't be worse and I got everything but my graphics card. I was getting the computer to get some work done, edit videos and try out things like blender, and of course game but it's been almost 2 years and my parts are starting to get outdated. Obviously it might be a little bit until the cards drop back to normal prices but they definitely are going down so I wanted to ask some of you what I should do. The options are 1: somehow return the parts and get a pre-built (I bought most of them from best but so that's an issue) 2: sell the parts for msrp and try again with a pre-built or 3: just wait ( and should I wait for 40 series cards)
I have the money to upgrade parts if I wait but if I sell them I could get a starter pro or something and better peripherals and then save to upgrade. Also let me know of some recommendations for pre-builts or if you are interested in buying any of my parts, they are still unopened in the box.

Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x
Asus rog strix b550-f wifi
I planned to get a 3070
750w gold psu
Wd blue 1tb nvme sad
G.Skill ripjaws 16gb
Corsair Carbide spec-delta

This was all about 1k usd at the time of purchase.

Solution
Still boxed or not you're probably going to lose more money on parts than you'd gain selling them and buying a prebuilt with a gpu.

No one is going to pay top dollar for what is still essentially second hand with no warranty irregardless of whether they're used or not.

Theyre still good components, a 3700x isn't going to be 'outdated' as such for years to come. I would wait it out or stump your money up for a gpu now.

I did similar as I was going through a split with the partner 4 years back and between dwellings all the time.

I has a 1700x sat there for almost 2 years until I got myself settled, I then proceeded to throw it together during lockdown last March as I managed to get a 5700xt cheapish.

Thats a gen 1 ryzen and yet...

InvalidError

Titan
Two years is a long time beyond the date of purchase to expect any store to take parts back.

If it were me, I would have gotten a GTX1650S or RX580 just to get the computer going in 2019 instead of sitting on a stack of unusable hardware for several months where the store return/refund window may have already expired before I could test anything.

When I put a new PC together, I try to get everything within a week. That way, if a catastrophe occurs, everything is within the 15-30 days return window.

Reactions: Legend999
Jul 30, 2021
Two years is a long time beyond the date of purchase to expect any store to take parts back.

If it were me, I would have gotten a GTX1650S or RX580 just to get the computer going in 2019 instead of sitting on a stack of unusable hardware for several months where the store return/refund window may have already expired before I could test anything.

When I put a new PC together, I try to get everything within a week. That way, if a catastrophe occurs, everything is within the 15-30 days return window.

This would have been great advice before I had rushed into it I really just didn't know that the graphics cards were going to be that much of an issue. It was definitely a learning experience to say the least.

Reactions: Why_Me

DSzymborski

Titan
Honestly, two of your three options aren't going to work. Stores are not giving refunds for parts after two years and nobody else is going to give you what you paid for the parts either. Are you sure it's been two years? The GPU market only got weird in late 2020.

Jul 30, 2021
Honestly, two of your three options aren't going to work. Stores are not giving refunds for parts after two years and nobody else is going to give you what you paid for the parts either. Are you sure it's been two years? The GPU market only got weird in late 2020.

Yeah it was around early 2020 maybe in December of 2019, so almost. I really couldn't find anything in stock no matter how many times or different websites I looked through. I have a game plan but I just want to see all of my options first.

InvalidError

Titan
The GPU market only got weird in late 2020.
While the later part of 2020 may have been most notorious for new parts unavailability and scalping which prompted a massive surge across most of the older stuff, GPU prices started creeping up around Q2.

I wish I had upgraded my GTX1050 to a GTX1650S while those were still under $200 in Jan 2020, then I could have sold my 1050 and made a net profit.

DSzymborski

Titan
While the later part of 2020 may have been most notorious for new parts unavailability and scalping which prompted a massive surge across most of the older stuff, GPU prices started creeping up around Q2.

I wish I had upgraded my GTX1050 to a GTX1650S while those were still under $200 in Jan 2020, then I could have sold my 1050 and made a net profit.

It's so weird. A year ago, you could get an 8 GB RX 570 for $135.

Untitled.png

And there are 1650 Supers in the $160 range.

Still boxed or not you're probably going to lose more money on parts than you'd gain selling them and buying a prebuilt with a gpu.

No one is going to pay top dollar for what is still essentially second hand with no warranty irregardless of whether they're used or not.

Theyre still good components, a 3700x isn't going to be 'outdated' as such for years to come. I would wait it out or stump your money up for a gpu now.

I did similar as I was going through a split with the partner 4 years back and between dwellings all the time.

I has a 1700x sat there for almost 2 years until I got myself settled, I then proceeded to throw it together during lockdown last March as I managed to get a 5700xt cheapish.

Thats a gen 1 ryzen and yet it still does everything I want it to do, I'd rather have high res high quality graphics than high fps - even a gen 1 ryzen is absolutely capable of 60fps in just about every game out there.

Reactions: Legend999
Solution
B550 motherboard can't be older than about one year.

GPU prices increased late 2020. October 2020 I bought a new 1650 Super for €175 and a 1660 Super for €230 both new at a regular webshop in NL.

If you sell your parts I think you get 60% of what you've payed.

Option 1 and 2 are not going to work.
You can't return the parts, and you can not get anywhere near msrp for them.
Past that pre-builts have their own issues.
Mainly lack of upgrade capability and parts quality, particularly psu.

Option 3 to wait is your only rational choice.
You can buy a basic graphics card like a GT1030 for around $100.
That gets you going and you can start your editing and run simple games.
When graphics prices are in your price range, buy then.
In the mean time, you will have a better understanding as to what your needs are.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Don't sell the parts, that's silly. 3060's should be popping up soon. If you can get a card, build it up.

If you bought a card last year and built the system it would have the same performance it would have today. It's older now but not outdated.

Upgrading every cycle is a waste of money. Get a gpu wait 3-4 years and then upgrade. That system won't be holding you back.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing wrong with your parts. They might not be top of the line anymore, but a 3700x is still a very respectable cpu, capable of gaming anything with decent fps. The value of the fps gains to be had by selling the cpu and upgrading to a 5600x/5800x just isn't there, too few gains to be had.

Keep your pc, build it, grab whatever gpu you can afford to get and worry about replacements/upgrades in a couple of years when prices normalize more than they are currently.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Keep the build nothing is wrong with it. NO sense in upgrading every generation unless the PC saves you time and you make your living based on that. Even then you still have to figure out the ROI.

its ok NOT to upgrade yearly
Its ok to have a older PC
Its ok to enjoy what you have

Live life and enjoy a great computer and upgrade to a 3070 when prices come down.

InvalidError

Titan
This would have been great advice before I had rushed into it I really just didn't know that the graphics cards were going to be that much of an issue. It was definitely a learning experience to say the least.
For people who already own a usable PC, there is also plan B: reuse your existing GPU.

When I upgraded my i5-3470 to an i5-11400, I decided to reuse my GTX1050 and just use the IGP on the 3470 as my new living room PC until something new and reasonably priced becomes available.

Aug 1, 2021
Ok i simply need Karadjgne,
I read a forum from like 7 years ago about cpu cooler taking up a ram slot and i have the problem and i wanted to know if i should raise my fan by like a cm to 2

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well that's undecided right now. Many larger and All the big air will overhang at least the first slot, and as many as all the slots, but the emphasis is on 'overhang'.

The Noctua NH-D15 for instance has clearance underneath the heatsink, and the fan sits above the ram, so only extra tall ram needs a fan adjustment. The Scythe Fuma 2 is so short, it's heatsink/fan basically don't allow for that.

So no real point guessing as of yet until there's a difinitive answer to exactly which cooler and which ram, in which case.