Question Should i set a PageFile for 12GB of RAM?

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
Hello everyone, first of all English is not my mother tongue so i hope you understand what i say. (At first you may see what i write may not make sense with my title but read it, it will make sense later on) So what happened is, the last 3 days i've been playing COD Warzone and everytime i joined a match, after 5 minutes or so my game crashed and i didn't know why, there were no error codes no nothing, when the game crashed, it sent me straight to the Desktop. Event Viewer had no logs for the crash. I searched for about 10 minutes through my PC for the COD crash dumps or logs, and i found this text file "gpu_crash-2020_03_25-22_12_10" (That's a very recent crash) i opened it and it said (Look at the link below) that the GPU crashed for memory allocation or something like that. I was certain that my GPU was not the issue, i thought it was a bug in the game. Anyways, when i saw this "WARNING: Memory allocation changed and was not yet taken in account" my mind went straight to the PageFile in Windows. I have put the PageFile to "Automatically manage...". In total i have 12 GB of RAM and Windows has put the PageFile at 7608 MB or 7 GB and i don't know if it's enough or not, and i'm not sure if it's the PageFile that's crashing COD. I want to hear from you guys what's the problem here , the Windows PageFile or COD? Thank you :)

Specs:
• Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
• CPU - Intel Core I5-750 3.1ghz (My CPU hits above 90C while playing COD but i'm certain that's not the CPU's fault, i have lowered everything for the CPU and it runs quite smoothly most of the times)
• Graphics Card - Gigabyte GTX 1050 TI Windforce 4GB
• RAM - Corsair 12GB DDR3 1333mhz
• SSD - Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB (Currently 86 GB free)

Link to the text file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12zw_I3E94mRVIAxd7Fu3VyCrd0QNce47/view

Colif

Win 11 Master
Since page file is set to auto, windows will take whatever memory it needs. So increasing it to 12gb isn't needed since it isn't asking for that much yet. if it needs that it will take it.

If you running out of memory in game, buy more ram. Page file is last option, it uses your ssd and its way slower than ram. Its not the ideal solution.

hr: 887a0005
hrRemovedReason: 887a0007
WARNING: Memory allocation changed and was not yet taken in account
Video Memory Info:
Budget: 2903 MB
Budget (unscaled): 3415 MB
Used: 2889 MB
Used (High watermark): 3488 MB
Available: 13 MB
Deficit: 0 MB
System Video Memory Info:
Budget: 5527 MB
Budget (unscaled): 5527 MB
Used: 1193 MB
Used (High watermark): 1221 MB
Available: 4334 MB

the actual error is talking about Vram, not ram... its the memory on the GPU. WIndows does share ram with GPU but you can't increase that amount with add on cards. (only integrated graphics). Only way to get more is a new GPU. I don't know if this is just the game or not.

looking at report, it seems your GPU only had 13mb free at time but system shared was showing 4gb so no reason it was out of memory exactly,

To increase the amount of memory a GPU can access, you need to add ram. And only if card can use more than you have. I don't know what your GPU can use. it would show it in dxdiag

can you right click start
choose run...
type dxdiag and pres enter
once it loads, and green bar stops, click save all information
this opens file explorer, save the file as something you will remember.
upload that text file to google drive and we see what it says.

Last edited:

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
Since page file is set to auto, windows will take whatever memory it needs. So increasing it to 12gb isn't needed since it isn't asking for that much yet. if it needs that it will take it.

If you running out of memory in game, buy more ram. Page file is last option, it uses your ssd and its way slower than ram. Its not the ideal solution.

Video Memory Info:

the actual error is talking about Vram, not ram... its the memory on the GPU. WIndows does share ram with GPU but you can't increase that amount with add on cards. (only integrated graphics). Only way to get more is a new GPU. I don't know if this is just the game or not.

looking at report, it seems your GPU only had 13mb free at time but system shared was showing 4gb so no reason it was out of memory exactly,

To increase the amount of memory a GPU can access, you need to add ram. And only if card can use more than you have. I don't know what your GPU can use. it would show it in dxdiag

can you right click start
choose run...
type dxdiag and pres enter
once it loads, and green bar stops, click save all information
this opens file explorer, save the file as something you will remember.
upload that text file to google drive and we see what it says.
I understand, i don't think i run out of memory while gaming because i use MSI Afterburner and track what happens with CPU, GPU etc. I bought this GPU last year so it would be a waste of money if i bought a new one right now. If the issue is the GPU then how is it able to play COD? It needs at least 2 GB of VRAM in order to play in the Minimum requirements as the website "Can I Run It" says, so it's definitely a bug in the game. In-game i have set everything to low and it runs well, i get 40-60 FPS (most of the times 50 FPS or so). Anyways here's the link for DxDiag (https://drive.google.com/open?id=113rImsqp7CQLMUcBjk14aMwquh7Lu1F1)

Colif

Win 11 Master
its not an error i see a lot.

reddit link - same game and error

This guy suspects the problem is in Ram and not VRAM - The clue that got me thinking this way was that line "WARNING: Memory allocation changed and was not yet taken in account" which after looking it up on the Internet, it is not caused by VRAM, but System Memory. I think that the game tries to allocate too much memory or something or it tries to write to the same sectors as Instant Replay when I start the game. original link

But I don't know if you are running any streaming programs so it might be just him speculating.

Seems it is a Dev 6068 error or related as that code comes up a lot in searches of error terms
How to Fix Dev Error 6068 in COD Modern Warfare?
The error with the message “Dev Error 6068 – DirectX encountered an unrecoverable error” has become a nightmare for COD Modern Warfare players. However, it can be avoided by taking care of some simple things. Follow these steps to fix Dev Error 6068 in COD Modern Warfare:

● First, you need to deactivate the NVIDIA overlay from GeForce Experience and all other overlay applications.
● In the game setting, set the game Window to borderless.
● Make sure that you have the latest version of Windows.
● Switch off RTX and XBOX game bar.
● Open Task Manager and set the COD Modern Warfare to High Priority.
● Lower the particle settings of the game. Alternatively, you can lock the game at 3 frames per second. Follow the following steps to do the same;
○ Open the Control Panel of the NVIDIA.
○ Click on Manage 3D settings.
○ Finally, open “Program Settings”, now select the game from the list.
○ Now change the vertical sync setting to “Adaptive Half Refresh Rate”.
○ Launch the game.
○ Now you also need to disable vertical sync in the game also, doing this will lock the game to 30 frames per second (FPS).

https://revistarai.org/fix/cod-modern-warfare-dev-error-6068-6065-and-6165/

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
its not an error i see a lot.

reddit link - same game and error

This guy suspects the problem is in Ram and not VRAM - The clue that got me thinking this way was that line "WARNING: Memory allocation changed and was not yet taken in account" which after looking it up on the Internet, it is not caused by VRAM, but System Memory. I think that the game tries to allocate too much memory or something or it tries to write to the same sectors as Instant Replay when I start the game. original link

But I don't know if you are running any streaming programs so it might be just him speculating.

Seems it is a Dev 6068 error or related as that code comes up a lot in searches of error terms

https://revistarai.org/fix/cod-modern-warfare-dev-error-6068-6065-and-6165/
Hmm none of the links actually helped because i don't get the DEV error anymore, i had this error 5 days ago and i fixed it by going to NVIDIA and disabling the "In-game Overlay" setting and that fixed it but other than that, it's still crashing. I do not stream or record but if i was, i wouldn't be able because my CPU would not have handled the recording. I have tried closing OBS of course because of the On Screen Display but that did not help either. So i'm kinda stuck here to be honest. In conclusion i think it's the game's fault

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
It does seem to be an engine problem. So it is likely the game, I find same error on people with Nvidia and AMD GPU. All on COD.
Finally someone agreed with me for this issue lol. I have reported the bug on the Activision website and i have reported again the bug on a form which i cannot find the link, so hopefully they fix it soon. Thank you for your help mate :)

AleksiDj52

Honorable
Mar 4, 2017
It does seem to be an engine problem. So it is likely the game, I find same error on people with Nvidia and AMD GPU. All on COD.
Hey mate just a quick update on the COD crash, so, COD released a patch today 15 GB, i downloaded it and i played 1 training match and 1 normal match and no crashes, i'm pretty sure this patch fixed the crash, finally!!

Reactions: Colif

MLLapan1

Honorable
Apr 4, 2017

Video Memory Info:

Call of Duty...

When it does consume all VRam and error occurs...

GPU crashes and restores, game freezes.

Video Memory Info:
Budget: 5843 MB
Budget (unscaled): 6874 MB
Used: 6735 MB
Used (High watermark): 7640 MB
Available: 0 MB
Deficit: 891 MB
Budget: 14715 MB
Budget (unscaled): 14715 MB
Used: 1178 MB
Used (High watermark): 1240 MB
Available: 13537 MB

When it does not consume all VRam and error occurs...
No GPU crash, only game freezes.

hr: 887a0001
hrRemovedReason: 00000000

Video Memory Info:
Budget: 5843 MB
Budget (unscaled): 6874 MB
Used: 834 MB
Used (High watermark): 834 MB
Available: 5008 MB
Budget: 14715 MB
Budget (unscaled): 14715 MB
Used: 1098 MB
Used (High watermark): 1098 MB
Available: 13617 MB

This is too confusing...
First case, something did not let allocation to occur, and GPU had to restart itself. (Display driver has stopped...)

Memory allocation changed in second case is ridiculous, nor VRam, nor RAM was used to allocate anything.

And difference is in these hr tags.

This is Activision, and I am thinking to ask for refund.

So, about PageFile, you can set it to 1 yottabyte, it won't use it.

Last edited: