[SOLVED] Should I set fan curves?

Jul 27, 2022
Hello,

These are my specs for my prebuilt:

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6GHz (5.0GHz Turbo) 12-Core 20-Thread
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (Brand May Vary)
Chipset: Intel Z690
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz
SSD: 1TB PCIe Gen4 M.2 NVMe SSD
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Elite Capellix
PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W Gold
Case: Corsair iCue 5000x Black

My GPU temp is around mid 40s Celsius when pc is idle
CPU temp is anywhere from 30-34 Celsius when idle
Most of my fans spin less than 700 RPM and 2 of them are around 2200 RPM when idle
When gaming the temperature is fine, it's not near dangerous levels at all

As mentioned this is a prebuilt so I didn't even touch the bios settings. I've never adjusted fan curves before and I'm not sure if it's even worth doing in my case.
But I read that adjusting fan curves is a good thing to do because it may prolong the life of certain hardware? I don't know if this is true or not.

It's a very quiet PC which I like and would prefer to keep it that way. The only slight annoyance is when after gaming and I close out said application one of the fans
keeps revving up and down as it momentarily spins fast only to resume spinning at its normal rate. This repeats over and over again for awhile.
And weirdly enough this weird revving thing happens every time I exit a game and my PC is just idle. The revving itself is not loud but it is still audible.
If I don't start playing any games and all I do is browse the internet, the revving is just not there.

And just the other day I noticed that my CPU temp was mid 50s during idle, and one of the cores was running much warmer than the others. This is very unusual.
But this rise in temperature was preceded by a failed Windows 11 upgrade download. But an hour after running into this increase in cpu temperature my PC froze
and I had to force restart my pc. After doing so the cpu temp dropped to 30. I think it was a one time thing. Maybe a bug related to the failed download which kept
overloading the CPU?

Anyways, do you think I should set fan curves? Either out of principle or from the above 2 potential issues?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
From what you've explained the fans are set to operate as needed, meaning they will only ramp up when necessary. If there was the case that the fans were at full blast all day everyday, then that might've been a cause for concern. If you're bothered by noise, yes you can tinker with the fan profile/curve/RPM's and then dial it to your needs.

Did the prebuilt come with Windows 11 installed out of the box? Might want to make sure you have your data on the OS drive(if there are any) in case you need to reinstall the OS. A failed download for an OS can be a sign of problems ahead(for the OS, not essentially the hardware).

Also, if the temps drop after a spike, your cooler is doing it's job, so you've got nothing to worry on that front...

Lutfij

Titan
From what you've explained the fans are set to operate as needed, meaning they will only ramp up when necessary. If there was the case that the fans were at full blast all day everyday, then that might've been a cause for concern. If you're bothered by noise, yes you can tinker with the fan profile/curve/RPM's and then dial it to your needs.

Did the prebuilt come with Windows 11 installed out of the box? Might want to make sure you have your data on the OS drive(if there are any) in case you need to reinstall the OS. A failed download for an OS can be a sign of problems ahead(for the OS, not essentially the hardware).

Also, if the temps drop after a spike, your cooler is doing it's job, so you've got nothing to worry on that front.

My 2 cents
:)

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 27, 2022
From what you've explained the fans are set to operate as needed, meaning they will only ramp up when necessary. If there was the case that the fans were at full blast all day everyday, then that might've been a cause for concern. If you're bothered by noise, yes you can tinker with the fan profile./curve/RPM's and then dial it to your needs.

Also, if the temps drop after a spike, your cooler is doing it's job, so you've got nothing to worry on that front.

My 2 cents
:)

It actually came with Windows 10 installed already. I just figured that a free upgrade to windows 11 wouldn't hurt. I'm getting this error when the download fails:

0x80070005

I'll probably just keep the fans as is. Do the idle temperature seem fine to you?

Jul 27, 2022
^ You could use this;
and see if that helps but I'm certain that you have an OS corruption. If that is true, the only way around that is to reinstall your OS(Windows 11).

I ran a SFC /SCANNOW in the command prompt and there were no corruption. But I'll probably do a clean install for windows 11 one of these days.

Lutfij

Titan
It happens from time to time. Happened to me multiple times,. the only thing is I had my data backed up a long time back,. so was ready for a reinstall. The corruption can even happen during an update.

I just figured that a free upgrade to windows 11 wouldn't hurt.
If you follow through guides on this site, you'll see how you're advised to reinstall the OS after an upgrade from the prior OS, using the internal GUI upgrade path.

Jul 27, 2022
It happens from time to time. Happened to me multiple times,. the only thing is I had my data backed up a long time back,. so was ready for a reinstall. The corruption can even happen during an update.

I just figured that a free upgrade to windows 11 wouldn't hurt.
If you follow through guides on this site, you'll see how you're advised to reinstall the OS after an upgrade from the prior OS, using the internal GUI upgrade path.

I see. How did you backup your data? External hdd?