[SOLVED] Should I shutdown my PC or leave it Idle during Dinner?

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021
Hello,

Normally I would turn off my PC when I go to have dinner, but I'm not sure if this is better or should I leave it idle at desktop for about an hour?

Will shutting two times every day (one at night) be bad for my PC?

Thank you in advance.

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021
In this case, you can use Sleep instead of Shutdown.

If you are using a fast SSD as boot drive, Sleep has no singificant advantage over Shutdown like it was in the past when IDE drives were around, maybe you can save your computer's Power button a bit of lifespan.
I don't think my PC has the Sleep option button. It only has Shutdown or Restart.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
PCs don't consume a lot of power when idle. So it's perfectly fine to leave it on in time for dinner.

But a little piece of advice, if your parents tell you to "turn that damn thing off at least while we're eating"
might be a smarter choice in long run . Chances are, you'll find peddling the idea of next upgrade for
christmas, much easier feat to pull off.
Us parents are kinda wired that way :LOL:

Reactions: VERSION_1583

jasonf2

Distinguished
In this case, you can use Sleep instead of Shutdown.

If you are using a fast SSD as boot drive, Sleep has no singificant advantage over Shutdown like it was in the past when IDE drives were around, maybe you can save your computer's Power button a bit of lifespan.
For an hour or two, if you are not regularly using sleep mode already I would tend to shy away from it. Sleep mode in theory is a great concept, in practice going in and out of ultra low power state can have its own set of issues depending on the computer (Lockups and/or instability). If your bootup is less than 30-60 seconds I would either power it down or just leave it running. On modern machines MTBF is high enough on most components that you will more than likely be replacing the computer long before letting it idle during dinner catches up with you.