Question Should I skip rebuild this year due to supply issues?

murderhornet

Prominent
Oct 28, 2021
I'm due to build a new PC this year and I normally do that to take advantage of Black Friday deals. How are things looking on prices and availability this year for components for a high-middle tier gaming machine? Normally I look for the knee in price vs performance graphs and buy for best performance for the money.

How bad is it out there? Would you recommend just keeping the existing system going or are the problems only for the very top end components? I'm aware of the graphic card shortage for the best cards but I'm not sure how far down the product line that goes.

Ralston18

Titan
Start by quantifying your "rebuild" vs "do not rebuild" criteria.

What specific products or components would you like to have?

How much are you willing to cumulatively spend (purchase price, shipping) per product or component?

How long are you willing to wait?

What risks are you willing to take with respect to product availability, delayed deliveries?

What are your component priorities?

Make a list and keep watching the "market".

From a broader view: do you really need a new system/rebuild as a matter of "habit" versus "need"?

For the most part I do not expect things to get better and my main focus is to simply keep my existing system going via care and maintenance.

No need to upgrade and in that I am fortunate....

Just my thoughts on the matter.

murderhornet

Prominent
Oct 28, 2021
Thanks for responding, I was just looking for people's gut feel and to see if they know something I don't. It looks like the market, and opinions on it, are about what I expected, a little damaged but not totally screwed. Actually building lists and watching price fluctuations is more effort than I'm willing to go to these days.

I'll follow some of the build discussions here and on Tom's Hardware and just copy what looks reasonable and has group consensus. For prices I'll just get what I get...

jsh169

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
How old is your machine? What's your budget? Do you need to have one of the best machines possible? Your asking a very dynamic question with nothing quantifiable for us to give you any opinion.

Oct 18, 2021
Hard to say mate. In general, there are indeed some problems with the supply, but I think that on the Black Friday, sellers are trying to make sure they have stock. You need to keep watch.

TRENDING THREADS