[SOLVED] Should I spread thermal paste?

Apr 13, 2020
The fan in my laptop died recently so I had to replace it and since this was my first time doing something like this I didn't apply thermal paste. So I ordered some and all the googling I've done there have been 2 conflicting opinions, spreading thermal paste or just putting a small dab and letting the heatsink spread it, so whats the best way to apply it especially for someone inexperienced.

Solution
A small pea-sized dab of thermal paste usually gets the job done for me on a normal sized desktop cpu, but not sure if your laptop CPU is the same size. Using good thermal paste really helps I've heard; I use Arctic Silver 5 Thermal paste, and my temps are never an issue. However, I recommend doing your own research if you haven't already as I don't know much about laptops, but thought i'd give my input. Also, CPUID offers some free software that allow you to view and monitor your systems statistics, I use HWMonitor PRO to monitor my CPU temperatures. I do recommend giving these a look because unusually high CPU temperatures can damage the CPU in the long run if not careful. Good-luck and I hope you find...

Tiress

Honorable
Jan 9, 2016
A small pea-sized dab of thermal paste usually gets the job done for me on a normal sized desktop cpu, but not sure if your laptop CPU is the same size. Using good thermal paste really helps I've heard; I use Arctic Silver 5 Thermal paste, and my temps are never an issue. However, I recommend doing your own research if you haven't already as I don't know much about laptops, but thought i'd give my input. Also, CPUID offers some free software that allow you to view and monitor your systems statistics, I use HWMonitor PRO to monitor my CPU temperatures. I do recommend giving these a look because unusually high CPU temperatures can damage the CPU in the long run if not careful. Good-luck and I hope you find the answer you're looking for :)

Solution
You will want definitely want some thermal compound...

For laptop heatsinks/thermal pipes which might have a postage stamp-sized small surface area to cover directly to the CPU/APU die, I prefer a tiny BB/-sized micro-blob, spread thinly/evenly via a scotch-taped fingertip... (clean the old compound from the underside of sink/heatpipe and die gently with a small piece of paper towel and isopropyl alcohol....)

... putting a small dab and letting the heatsink spread it, so whats the best way to apply it especially for someone inexperienced.
Not only is the 'small dab and let the heatsink spread it' good, it's the best way for someone inexperienced.

The reason I like the small, pea size dab in the middle method is it spreads out evenly and thin with heatsink pressure and way less likely to form tiny pockets of trapped air. You can't hand spread it evenly enough to avoid that. And modern paste formulations (like the arctic silver 5 mentioned) are safe even if you get too much on (within reason). The excess just squeezes out and doesn't harm anything.

Just avoid anything 'liquid metal' as that's conductive and very dangerous if used improperly.

Apr 13, 2020
Okay thanks everyone for the replies. I ordered Arctic MX4 and when it gets here I'll just put a rice sized drop on the gpu and 2 drops on my cpu since its rectangular and I dont think a single drop would cover the entire cpu. I had more trouble taking the old thermal paste off since it was rock hard so hopefully applying new thermal paste solves my problems. Even though I've been terrified that I'd mess something up its been pretty fun taking my laptop apart and hopefully once I apply thermal paste for the first time it'll be a life skill I keep for the rest of my life :)

Reactions: Tiress
The fan in my laptop died recently so I had to replace it and since this was my first time doing something like this I didn't apply thermal paste. So I ordered some and all the googling I've done there have been 2 conflicting opinions, spreading thermal paste or just putting a small dab and letting the heatsink spread it, so whats the best way to apply it especially for someone inexperienced.
Some laptops use thermal pads some use paste. Unless the heatsink it screwed down tightly to the motherboard im betting there were thermal pads. Replace with a quality thermal pad is that is the case like thermal grizzly.

Thermal paste has a tendency to crack because it dries out as it ages. Laptops as they get jolted around a lot tend to increase this cracking unless its tightly bolted down.