Should I start from scratch or can I use some parts from my ancient beast? ($750~)

motowuzhere

Reputable
May 26, 2014
Hello, thank you for taking time to read my post. I have a 5 going on 6 year old computer that I built in 2012. It has served me faithfully all these years but I would like to make some upgrades so I can start streaming again.

**Although I could still use this PC to stream, it crashes, extremely randomly. I have had it crash twice in one hour / not crash in three months. I do not know what causes it and I have not been able to re-create it (extremely frustrating). It has happened playing games, and it has happened just sitting open with nothing running. The effects of the crash are the fans running on high (you can hear them speed up and whirring) and the screen going black.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Storage: HD 500|WD SATAIII
Video Card: MSI R7870 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
Case: Cool Master HAF 912 (Love this case!)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

I mainly play League of Legends and Minecraft, but also enjoy Warframe and 7 Days to Die from time to time so I would like a computer that runs them well. However, for streaming, I mainly want to stream League of Legends. I can go slightly over my budget, but any re-usable parts would be a plus! Thank you!
Budget: $750~

Solution
Ultimately i'd say it still depends on if you want everything to be stable or not, for a computer especially one for gaming 6 years might of put some stress on your components and everything might not be as reliable as it use to be.

But if you want to save money and don't mind just buying a fresh piece and going to the trouble of opening up your tower to swap the components, then I reckon you could still keep your CPU and maybe even your motherboard but if it was me i'd swap it for a fresh and new one. I'd also say to swap your memory for a fresh pair of corsair ram since generally speaking they're top of the line, but again you could still keep your current set.

Your power supply also could probably last another few years if...

nath9771

Reputable
Feb 12, 2016
Ultimately i'd say it still depends on if you want everything to be stable or not, for a computer especially one for gaming 6 years might of put some stress on your components and everything might not be as reliable as it use to be.

But if you want to save money and don't mind just buying a fresh piece and going to the trouble of opening up your tower to swap the components, then I reckon you could still keep your CPU and maybe even your motherboard but if it was me i'd swap it for a fresh and new one. I'd also say to swap your memory for a fresh pair of corsair ram since generally speaking they're top of the line, but again you could still keep your current set.

Your power supply also could probably last another few years if you haven't had any problems with it, and i'm sure it would be enough to power your new upgrades as well. Although League of Legends doesn't require a lot of graphics, your video card should be fine, but I mean the whole point in getting upgrades is just to get better and newer components right?

In the end, I guess it's all up to how much your willing to spend and if you really just want newer and more top of the line parts. :pt1cable:

Solution