Should I start looking for a new PSU?

yetyhunter

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Firts here are my specs:
Asus P5N-D ,E8400@3600 mhz,4GB ram and 8800 GTS 512 SLI, 1HDD and some case fans.
I have only a 600w PSU http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/power-supply-units/xilence-power-600w-gaming-edition/ .

In the Bios I noticed that the +12V was only at 11.71. I checked it again with hwmonitor and it was the same.I cheked it under load and it went as low as 11.20 . I also noticed some strange stuttering in games. I don't have any other problems like crashing or BSODS.The only thing that is bothering me is the stutering.

I got rid of my "stuttering" by uninstalling the synmatec norton anti-virus on my compaq pc. I use vista without any anti virus, and it's pretty safe. Microsoft announced today that starting sometime in 2009, they will offer anti-virus software of their own for free. If your current power supply has all the video connections you need, then I would stick with it.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Get a new psu. That is a crappy psu and it looks like it's dieing. The 11.2V is very low and most likely what's causing problems. Replace the psu before is dies and fries your system. Get a good brand like Corsair, PCP&C, Seasonic, or Antec.

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I talked to Antec customer support a while ago and they told me that there shouldn't be a fluctuation over 3%.

((12-11.71)/12)*100 = 2.42%

I think your fine.

ragsters

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Actually I didn't notice that it went as low as 11.2 in that case that is a 6.67% fluctuation.

But software is not always correct the best thing to do is check with a digital multimeter.

yetyhunter

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Maybe I'm fine because I never had a crash or a bsod caused by the psu only because of bad overcloking or bad ram settings. The only problem is stutering but it can be caused by multiple factors.Sli can cause it or the antivirus.
But still,I should get a new one maybe.

Before just throwing money at it, test some things. Get behind a hardware firewall (e.g. a NAT router) where it is safer to turn off the AV and see what effect that has. Run one card instead of two and see if it stutters.

yetyhunter

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
All multigpu solutions have some kind of microstutter but it can be mad less observable when enabling vsync and triplebuffering.
I can just unplug the internet cable and turn off the AV.But I don't think it will do anything.