Should I stick to GTX 770 or change to a 760 Mars Dual?

xBlackadderx

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
That sums it all, i have a GTX 770 MSI Twinfrozr I bought 9 months ago for 310 euro, the possibility to buy a GTX 760 Mars Dual has come, i can sell my GPU for around 220 euro and buy the dual mars NEW for 240 euro.

Would you take that change?

Should I do it?

Specs:
Asus Z97-A
I7-4790
GTX-770 MSI
L8-700W Be quite!

Solution
Woah...on your mobo/cpu I would not spend 240 on the mars dual. It is a nice gimmick card, however these are just two 760s in SLI...

More hassle than it is worth.

You can afford an r9 280x and on your PSU you can add a second further down the line too.

Though it is interesting to own such a rare card, I don't recommend going down the SLI route, especially not on a dual 760 one

EDIT: Aside all this...you have a 770! Just keep that man and smash in a truly powerful card once prices drop after the x3xx series is released!

Undying89

Distinguished
Dual 760's will be still be 2GB card. Yes, it should be faster in games that support SLI but again you wont be able to push V.High textures in games like GTA V due Vram limitation.

Keep your 770 and keep saving for something in the future.

DasHotShot

Honorable
Woah...on your mobo/cpu I would not spend 240 on the mars dual. It is a nice gimmick card, however these are just two 760s in SLI...

More hassle than it is worth.

You can afford an r9 280x and on your PSU you can add a second further down the line too.

Though it is interesting to own such a rare card, I don't recommend going down the SLI route, especially not on a dual 760 one

EDIT: Aside all this...you have a 770! Just keep that man and smash in a truly powerful card once prices drop after the x3xx series is released!

Solution

Neur0nauT

Admirable

SLI will only utilise 2GB anyway. In hindsight, the upgrade would be more than it is worth. SLI can be a pain some times.

Wait until June and see what the AMD 300 series brings to the table.

DasHotShot

Honorable
If you can actually get 220 for the 770 and spend 20 euros more on the Mars it could be a fun yolo thing to do...

However be warned, you are probably out of warranty, you are inheriting all the trimmings of SLI (scaling micro sutter etc) and you are doubling energy consumption, increasing heat gen and noise levels.

Make sure you are ready with good airflow, a case that doesn't leak too much noise and preferably not paying the power bill lol...

If you do not meet 2 of those conditions, the card is not for you.

xBlackadderx

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014

Thats my point, yolo. I do have a H440 with 7 fans + manual control fan hub, the air flow is good, GTX 770 idle 27-31.
And yeah! I don't pay the bills at all, for now. But I don't want to have to deal with shitty slutter or crappy stuff due to SLI.
I've never done SLI or crossfire.

DasHotShot

Honorable
I have and though it may not be recently when many issues have been fixed it still seems to represent a problem for many moderns games. They take a while to get the drivers right in many cases and for legacy titles you run a risk of experiencing bigger problems.

It is nice when it works perfectly, however I think SLI users lives are on average 10 years shorther than single GPU gamers...also their hair is white, whereas ours is still naturally coloured