Sep 17, 2018
Hi I’ve had a pc for a couple years these are the important specs
i5 6600
Msi Z170a motherboard
8gb ram
Xfx Radeon rx 480 8gb GPU
250gb ssd
2gb hdd
I use Streamlabs obs to stream but i could only stream under my gpu or my stream would stutter otherwise. The problem is when i stream on the gpu my frames drop and my game is too choppy
Now I just built my new pc and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it’s better to stream on my cpu or gpu
These are the new specs:
i7 8700k cpu
Asus Rog Strix z370e-gaming MB
16gb DDR4 Gskill Trident Z Ram
Xfx rx 480 8gb GPU (i used the same one)
250gb ssd
2tb hdd
If anyone can help me thanks a bunch

Solution
It's always better to stream with a GPU.

I have no experience with GPU encoding on AMD cards but with nvidia and even with intel's qsv I never get frame drops or stutter inside the games,if you get dropped frames in the recording/stream the only thing you have to do is put the recording priority to high or even real-time, OBS has a settings for this in the menu but you can also use task manager or if you use process hacker you can even save this setting so recording will always run at a high priority so it will never drop a frame.

Of course all of this is assuming you have good enough internet if you are talking about live streaming.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Depends on the title(s) in question - but an i7-8700K (6c/12t) should have more than enough resources to game + stream.

Realistically, and upgrade to an i7-6700/K or 7700/K would probably be a suitable upgrade, and would hurt the wallet less.
8 to 16GB would be a smart upgrade at the same time.

It's always better to stream with a GPU.

I have no experience with GPU encoding on AMD cards but with nvidia and even with intel's qsv I never get frame drops or stutter inside the games,if you get dropped frames in the recording/stream the only thing you have to do is put the recording priority to high or even real-time, OBS has a settings for this in the menu but you can also use task manager or if you use process hacker you can even save this setting so recording will always run at a high priority so it will never drop a frame.

Of course all of this is assuming you have good enough internet if you are talking about live streaming.

Solution