Should I swap my Desktop for a Laptop?

Wildthorn

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2016
I’m in kind of stuck in a loophole and it’s been bugging ever since I got here. Here’s the scenario, I’m currently studying and living in a school. I already own a desktop computer but it is a 7 hour flight journey away from me. It’s pretty big and I wouldn’t say portable (specs are on my profile). So shipping expenses are high and will be difficult for me.

I want to use it for gaming and for product design. I built it myself ideally for me but i imagine it would be too difficult to bring it here. It currently stand as <75,000cm3 (-the monitor and peripherals) and I don’t believe it will fit in my dorm. It would be a great asset if i could bring it with me.

On the other hand I could sell it and get myself a laptop. Obviously there will be a drop in performance and value but it still is way more portable than my big desktop computer. The budget is around >$1500 (considering I sell my PC). However I do face another problem; which is my family also use my computer, this is mainly when I’m away, though they can buy another one I wouldn’t say I’m keen on the idea.

I need some opinions and any experience on the situation, I watched different videos with different conclusions but I can’t seem to land on any. Any answers are highly appreciated and I would love feedback on this. I’ve got some time so I wouldn’t worry too soon.

Solution
Rather selling your desktop PC and forcing your family to buy a new PC, why not to sell your PC to your family? This way, they don't need to go through the hassle of buying a new PC and you don't need to find buyers for it. You might even get a better deal due to this since they may have a sentimental value to it while complete stranger doesn't give a d*mn about sentimental value.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Rather selling your desktop PC and forcing your family to buy a new PC, why not to sell your PC to your family? This way, they don't need to go through the hassle of buying a new PC and you don't need to find buyers for it. You might even get a better deal due to this since they may have a sentimental value to it while complete stranger doesn't give a d*mn about sentimental value.

Solution