Should I switch AHCI to RAID mode to get maximum performance from my 2 identical SSD's?

Will Lipscombe

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
Hi Everybody,
Just built my latest system and I would like some clarification about AHCI and RAID.
I have two identical Samsung 840 Pro 256 Gigabyte SSD's and I want MAXIMUM performance so I configured them as RAID zero in the Asus X79 BIOS.
I noticed after I installed Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) that I left that section of the SATA ports as AHCI and they show up under the Marvel BIOS as Virtual Disks.
Will I get even better gaming performance by starting again and changing AHCI to RAID in the ASUS BIOS?
I have read that AHCI is a subset of RAID and that it seems to be more for flexibility. And that FULL RAID zero would only show improvements when processing large single files mostly.
Completely wiping my RAID array and starting again is not a problem; I just want maximum performance when gaming.
Yes I know that RAID is not a backup; I have other drives in this system for backup on the separate SATA ports.
And I do benchmark and want MAXIUM performance for gaming.
Thanks in advance (smile)

RealBeast

Titan
You want the SSDs on the Intel 6Gbps ports, not on the Marvell. Use of RAID0 for gaming has very little if any impact on performance. Unless you really need the ports, I would disable the Marvell controller to shorten boot up time.