Question should I switch from a 8700k to a 2700x or 3700x?

Nov 23, 2019
I have a i7-8700k and I was thinking of switching to a ryzen 2700x or 3700x. and I heard that intel was for gaming and ryzen was for gaming and multitasking (and I want to stream and record). so is it a worth switch?

salm2s

Honorable
Jul 21, 2017
I think using ryzen is better for streaming and gaming, since it has more cores and threads. If your looking for just gaming, then the 8700k is better. But in your situation i think a 2700x should be good enough. What games will you be playing?

The 8700K has a decent number of threads, so I'm not sure it would be worth it to change hardware, particularly if you are using a GPU-based encoder like NVENC to record your video, as that won't be as demanding on the CPU as a CPU-based encoder would be. You would also need a new motherboard for a Ryzen CPU. And the 2700X would have a bit lower per-core performance than an 8700K, so that probably wouldn't be a worthwhile trade over what you have. In general, I don't think it would be a worthwhile use of your money to change processors at this time. Have you tried streaming on your current hardware, and seeing what performance impact it has?

Also, what are the rest of your system specs, including your graphics card and the resolution of your monitor? And is your CPU overclocked?

Nov 23, 2019
I think using ryzen is better for streaming and gaming, since it has more cores and threads. If your looking for just gaming, then the 8700k is better. But in your situation i think a 2700x should be good enough. What games will you be playing?

Probably like gta 5, PUBG, Resident Evil 2 Remake and maybe red dead redemption 2 if I ever pick up that.

In what way is your current system not meeting your needs?
That i7 is no slouch.

Maybe, but like I've heard people saying that the ryzen has more cores and threads and saying that the ryzen has more use in multi-tasking or content creating/streaming.

The 8700K has a decent number of threads, so I'm not sure it would be worth it to change hardware, particularly if you are using a GPU-based encoder like NVENC to record your video, as that won't be as demanding on the CPU as a CPU-based encoder would be. You would also need a new motherboard for a Ryzen CPU. And the 2700X would have a bit lower per-core performance than an 8700K, so that probably wouldn't be a worthwhile trade over what you have. In general, I don't think it would be a worthwhile use of your money to change processors at this time. Have you tried streaming on your current hardware, and seeing what performance impact it has?

Also, what are the rest of your system specs, including your graphics card and the resolution of your monitor? And is your CPU overclocked?

Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk z370
GPU: GTX 1070 ti zotac amp extreme
Cooler: Corsair Hydro h100x 240mm
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaw 16gb 2400mhz
and my monitor is at 1920x1080 (some games I have to tone down to 720p)

and no my cpu isn't overclocked I did had it overclocked at 4.7 ghz but I didn't find anything slight improvements, maybe I didnt overclock it properly but who knows.

I tried streaming at 1080p with the faster cpu usage on obs and when playing like resident evil 4 is kinda had a few hiccups (and if youre wondering what bitrate I use for streaming is 9500 since my internet speed is kinda around the 10-11mbps)

USAFRet

Titan
Maybe, but like I've heard people saying that the ryzen has more cores and threads and saying that the ryzen has more use in multi-tasking or content creating/streaming.
People say a lot of things.

Going from that i7-8700k to a Ryzen is a sidegrade.
In some functions a tiny upgrade. In others, a tiny downgrade.
Overall, not nearly enough to warrant the money and hassle changing.

Reactions: toniplavna

sonofjesse

Distinguished
I keep the 8700. No need in moving with that late of a CHIP, unless your doing something super specialized and willing to pay the premium for very slight increase for your application.

I see most people with the upgrade bug, I can understand we all have been their, but if your builds are not lasting 3-4+ years your doing something wrong. If you have too you can always upgrade one component.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
going from 8700k to ryzen 7 3700x will definitely improve streaming

but keep in mind you will need to lose some fps because intel in the gaming area is better especially 8700k and 9700k the only ryzen cpu that beated them is the ryzen 9 i believe

honestly i don't suggest doing this, i would suggest waiting for ryzen 4000 or intel comet lake, or even more future cpus after those the 8700k will last probably 3 years or 4 more because of its 6c/12t