Should i switch to a 64bit windows?

NG7

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
Good afternoon.

My question is this: should i switch to a 64bit windows or remain on my current 32bit windows?

I use my computer generally for web browsing and some casual gaming (not the newest titles obviously, those require better system requirements). I am looking to achieve the best from my computer for the activities mentioned above. Would switching to a 64bit windows give me any noticable improvement? or would the more resource intensive 64bit windows leave me with less resources for gaming and therefore give me lower performance on the long run?

System specs:
CPU: Pentium Dual-Core CPU E6600 3.06GHz (x64-based processor)
RAM: 4GB DDR3 (3.25GB usable due to 32bit windows)
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GT430

Thank you for your time and i appreciate any answers.

Solution
The only difference it would make to your pc is give pc more ram to play with, as the ram on your gpu eats into you total pool on a 32 bit system, whereas on 64 bit its addresses it uses are so high above most peoples physical ram that they don't need to share.

You would get a bit more of that 4gb to use

There aren't a great number of 64 bit programs around. Browsers have 64 bit versions but i don't think they use that much more resources compared to the 32 bit versions. As for 64 bit windows eating resources... I am not sure it does.

What I would do is not bother changing on that pc and instead get 64 bit on next pc as it will be built to support it and you will get a bigger jump in performance.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The only difference it would make to your pc is give pc more ram to play with, as the ram on your gpu eats into you total pool on a 32 bit system, whereas on 64 bit its addresses it uses are so high above most peoples physical ram that they don't need to share.

You would get a bit more of that 4gb to use

There aren't a great number of 64 bit programs around. Browsers have 64 bit versions but i don't think they use that much more resources compared to the 32 bit versions. As for 64 bit windows eating resources... I am not sure it does.

What I would do is not bother changing on that pc and instead get 64 bit on next pc as it will be built to support it and you will get a bigger jump in performance.

Solution

NG7

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016

Thanks for your quick answer Colif. I guess I'll just stick to my current setup as you recommended. Instead, I'll continue looking for a laptop with good specs, including 64bit windows and at least 8GB of RAM.

Regards

NG7

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016

Thanks for the answer CountMike. Yes that's what i read somewhere while doing my own research. Whether windows 64bit took more resources was one of my primary worries as it would have left me with less resources for games. I think I'll just stay with my current setup and opt to look for a good laptop with better specs.