[SOLVED] should i switch to a gtx 550 4gb?

oscarwilliams34

Prominent
Oct 26, 2018
I am currently running a gtx 750 ti low profile on a dell OptiPlex 7010 with a 250 watt power supply. Long story short I bought this pc over a year ago in one of those all in one bundles on ebay which come with an i5 and 8gb of ddr3 ram but then some terrible card like a gt710. At the time I didn't know much about computers and it seemed like a good idea but I had planned to put a gtx 1050 ti in it. Once I looked into it I found that it only supplied 50 watts to the gpu slot and had a 250 watt power supply. I took a risk with trying a gtx 750 ti and it has been running fine for about a year. I was wondering whether a gtx 550 4gb would work on my pc and if it wold be worth the switch. I was also wondering how cheap and easy it would be to buy another psu and motherboard which would allow me to use a gtx 1050 ti

Solution
Your GTX 750 ti is better then a GTX 550 ti. If your talking about the RX 550 4gb then no as your 750 ti is still a little bit better.

Swapping over a PSU isn't too hard but it also depends on the case. The small form factor HP's require smaller PSU's so you'd need to measure out the space to make sure a better unit will fit and depending on what PSU you go with you may be able to get something better for the money such as the RX 570/580 over the 1050 ti.

WildCard999

Titan
Your GTX 750 ti is better then a GTX 550 ti. If your talking about the RX 550 4gb then no as your 750 ti is still a little bit better.

Swapping over a PSU isn't too hard but it also depends on the case. The small form factor HP's require smaller PSU's so you'd need to measure out the space to make sure a better unit will fit and depending on what PSU you go with you may be able to get something better for the money such as the RX 570/580 over the 1050 ti.

Solution

oscarwilliams34

Prominent
Oct 26, 2018

the problem Is I need a low profile card

oscarwilliams34

Prominent
Oct 26, 2018
Contact Dell support and ask if a larger case like the 7010 will accept your motherboard...if so then buy a 7010 case on Ebay and move the components into it so you can buy a proper GPU.
I might need a new motherboard anyway as people seem to suggest mine can only supply 50 watts to the gpu. Would that mean I need a new motherboard for a gtx 1050 ti or 1650.

WildCard999

Titan

oscarwilliams34

Prominent
Oct 26, 2018

WildCard999

Titan
by the time I buy a new case, new gpu, new motherboard and new power supply I might as well buy a whole new pc. thanks for the help though guys.
Possibly however if you buy good quality parts (Case/PSU/GPU) then you can reuse the CPU, RAM & Storage. Then when your ready to upgrade the CPU/MB/RAM then that'll be all you'd need to replace.

Although if you have the budget for a full system then just go that route.

oscarwilliams34

Prominent
Oct 26, 2018
Possibly however if you buy good quality parts (Case/PSU/GPU) then you can reuse the CPU, RAM & Storage. Then when your ready to upgrade the CPU/MB/RAM then that'll be all you'd need to replace.

Although if you have the budget for a full system then just go that route.
ASUS P8H61-I LX/RM/SI - LGA1155 - DDR3 - ITX Motherboard 2nd & 3rd Gen CPUs
would this work do you think

4 product ratings