[SOLVED] Should I take this offer for my PC?

Winds Howling

Reputable
May 26, 2017
Sorry guys, I know questions like this have been asked a lot but I’m lazy and tired.

My specs:

-Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case
-MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge w/ WiFi Motherboard
-AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor
-AMD Wraith Prism RGB CPU Cooler
-XFX RX 5700 XT RAW II 8GB GPU
-Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB Memory 3600MHz
-Corsair RMx 850w Gold Modular PSU
-Western Digital Blue 1TB SSD
-Western Digital Green 1TB SSD

I currently have an offer for $1000, and that’s with pickup tomorrow morning with no hassle and cash in my pocket. I haven’t officially given the guy my address or anything, so it’s still technically in process.

I know I could get more, especially with the current state of the GPU market, but It’s worth noting that I didn’t actually purchase the GPU myself. It was gifted to me. I also don’t really feel like price gouging anybody, as my conscience won’t allow it.

With that being said, is this still a bad deal for me? I’m desperate to get this PC out of my hair as I don’t have time for it and it’s getting in the way. But I also want to make sure that I’m selling this for the right price. Decisions.. decisions.

Solution
This system offers a lot. If you don't want it, and feel that price is worthwhile to YOU to have it "out of your way", then by all means go ahead.
I would make sure to consider how the person who gifted it to you will feel.

The issue, in particular, is that once you sell the very valuable GPU (which could be a considerable portion of offer on a part out sale), the rest of the system could go albatross on you. You will have no way to show potential buyers that it actually works, and on a good portion of it are just behind the curve.
Don't take to mean it isn't a super capable system with a superb possible upgrade path...but why would I trust a guy I don't know to tell me a part works, and what is that worth to me as a buyer when you...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
This system offers a lot. If you don't want it, and feel that price is worthwhile to YOU to have it "out of your way", then by all means go ahead.
I would make sure to consider how the person who gifted it to you will feel.

The issue, in particular, is that once you sell the very valuable GPU (which could be a considerable portion of offer on a part out sale), the rest of the system could go albatross on you. You will have no way to show potential buyers that it actually works, and on a good portion of it are just behind the curve.
Don't take to mean it isn't a super capable system with a superb possible upgrade path...but why would I trust a guy I don't know to tell me a part works, and what is that worth to me as a buyer when you can't prove it?

Just some things to consider.

Solution

Winds Howling

Reputable
May 26, 2017
Thank you for your reply.

So a few things with that is, the person who gifted me my RX 5700 XT is unfortunately no longer of this world. And second, I do actually have a spare RX 580 that I could use to test parts in my PC if I decided to only sell the 5700 XT and get a pretty penny for.

But as I’ve said before, I’m not too comfortable with price gouging somebody with something I received as a gift from somebody that was dear to me.

I assume the question of “Why get rid of something that was given to you from somebody so special” would also come to mind, but I’d hardly call a graphics card something of sentimental value. (Unless you’re into that sort of thing) Just the idea of using a gift to screw somebody else irks me a little.

Don’t know that you are hurting anyone by selling the 5700xt. People are adults and have to make their own choices with their money. When I wanted to upgrade from a gtx 970 this year for example, I bought a gtx 1070. Nobody made me spend more money, that was about the top of what I was comfortable spending at that time.

It does look like the rx 580 is selling used for about 350 on eBay though for an 8gb model.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
^ I agree. We, as consumers, have to deal with market forces outside our control where it comes to inflation and perceived worth. It is not gouging someone to resell something for what it's currently worth in the market.
The grocery store has no issue at all selling you a $5 gallon of milk....