Should I take this offer...?

Euthqt

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Hey guys, I was looking at some computer builds and I was wondering if I should take this deal for $900 off Craigslist.
The guy says I can come check it out and play BF3 and all and look at each piece of equipment individually. He says he's had this rig for 5 months and he built it himself but he just wants to upgrade or get a new tv. I know this is a pretty good deal considering the specs. Should I trust it? What should I worry about?

case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-1(4x200mm led fans)
psu: Antec 900W w/ 4 12 volt rails
motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK
cpu: Intel 3570k
water cooling: Corsair H110 280mm water cooling setup with push pull fan setup
ram: 2x4GB Corsair XMS 2000
video cards: 2x EVGA GTX 660 FTW signature 2 in SLI
SSD: Samsung 120GB Pro3
HDD: Caviar Black 1.5TB @ 7200rpm with a 64MB cache
optical: samsung DVD-RW

I could either do this or build my own computer (obviously going to be slower but new at least).

What should I do guys?

Euthqt

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

What things should I really do to look at it, and what things could he rip me off with? He says he's willing to take apart the rig and show me each part piece by piece, and that he's going to leave Battlefield 3 on his SSD so I can play it and check the FPS and such.

What should I be looking for?

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

Do all of that, and ask if you can take it home for a day or two. If he/she says yes, then go for it. DO NOT log on to any site with personal information and they may have put some spyware. You never know.... Make sure it runs fast and is adequate for what you need. If you are going to upgrade anything. See if there is something better with your upgrades and possibly for a cheaper price. Make sure you get a reinstall disk and some sort of warranty if possible (pretty sure this won't happen but its a bonus), There are two hard drives, a SSD and a HDD. If you do get it, use the 1.5 tb first and the other as a backup drive. Again, make sure you get a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. what OS is it? And make sure you do a computer wipe when you get it. I know im sounding paranoid, but with all of this NSA stuff happening, you never know.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Well first thing you have to ask is why is he selling it after 5 months? Unless he found something better it still seems kinda weird why he would sell it. Second thing is you gotta actually go there to check it out and see whether everything is working. He should allow you to check the S.M.A.R.T. data on the hard drive using Crystal Disk Info or some other program. Another option is to get a background check on the guy to make sure he hasn't been selling bad products to anyone (if that will get listed). Get some kind of a contract so if something happens to the PC within a year (or 30 days at least, some kind of money back guarantee) or so he will be liable to refund your money. If he doesn't refund your money you can take him to court. $900 is a lot of money & i wouldn't want to buy a machine that will just be giving you problems. I don't know who in their right mind would build a $900+ machine and then sell it 5 months later. In fact i would either be using amazon or ebay, something with some feedback and some money back guarantee protection so your money is protected in case your investment doesn't work after a few weeks.

Euthqt

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

He's running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. He's saying I can come over, run Battlefield 3 for an hour or two, before we reset the drives back to factory settings. He says he wants to upgrade to a better system or get a nice big TV, seems strange to me too, because that rig is pretty powerful, but it's worth a look I suppose.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

price is 900 eh? If you built this by yourself, it would be over 1,200 US. A good deal. Check it out