Question Should i test overclock stability for every 6 months?

nawabkhan_u

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
Should i test overclock stability for every 6 months?

I asked this question because my friend have a pc that is overclocked correctly by a pc techinician.Nearly after 6 months his pc shut down suddenly and didnt turn on.He called the technician and he reset the bios.And said that pc is not stable.we should increase overclock voltage and he overclocked by increasing core voltage.

does overclock settings changes with time?

Ralston18

Titan
No.

A system that is having problems due to overclocking will not be fixed by more overclocking or increasing core voltages.

You have to determine the cause of the shutdown. Reliability History or Event Viewer may have captured some error code or warning.

My thoughts are more basic.

Could be that the case just needs to be opened and cleaned of dust and debris.

Inspect for signs of damage and overheating.

Reseat all cables, cards, RAM, and jumpers.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

If he is a heavy gamer and the PSU is no longer up to meeting the system's power demands there will be continuing and intermittent problems.

nawabkhan_u

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
You said that overclocking settings wont change with time.That means overclock will be stable until the processor lifespan.
no need to increase core voltage if overclock is unstable after years.
Using high end cooler and good powersupply pc user can increase the performance .
Then why most people dont overclock pc?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Every 6 months is a bit excessive unless your overclock was just borderline stable or your using a fairly low quality motherboard

I ran a 4790K for 6 years clocked it to 5.0 the first day I got it. Over that amount of time It became unstable 2 times the first I left the voltage and lowered to speed to 4.8 the 2nd time I increased the voltage by 0.02

ASK THE COMMUNITY